When did/are you teach(ing) your child to write?

SparklingHope

Asked by SparklingHope at 8:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my kids were all indroduced to pencils/crayons/writing items since about 12months, sooner if they couldn't hurt themselves or chew on em :D they all LOVE to draw and color and my walls are a testament to that :P But we didn't start actively teaching letters and words until about 3yo. my dd#2 is now 3.5 and can write her first name all by herself and knows how to write several letters. I was actually really amazed that she did her first name all by herself today without even asking how to spell it right or anything! She said she hasn't even been practicing in school (head start)but i'm not sure about that and am going to ask her teacher tomorrow :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 8:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I started at before 2. He could write his name by his 2nd Birthday! He was the only one who could write his name when we put him into a private school..the class was 3 and 4 year olds. He is now 5 and can write anything! He cant spell it all himself though! But he is working on that too!

He loves helping me write my grocery lists..Except when its super long. Lol.
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 8:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My son is 3 and we practice all the time.
    sillytime

Answer by sillytime at 8:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• He learned to write his name at 3 years. We are teaching letter writing right now. He can also write small words. He also knows how to write his capital and small letters.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I started teaching her how to write her name when she turned 3. she's almost 4 now and it's still the only thing she can write. lol all kids are different
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My DD is 2almost 3 and tries. We didn't actively stat with my son until he was 3.5 and then gave up because he couldn't do it. It turned out he had motor delays. We are already actively teaching DD to write a Q the first letter of her name. We will move forward at her pace.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I don't remember her exact age. But it was before pre-school because we were teaching her how to write her name. DD went to preschool at 3 so maybe it was around 2.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My dd is 3 1/2 and we are working on her name. We started working on it right at 3 but she wasn't interested and would get frustrated. I waited and went with her pace since it is such an important life skill I didn't want bad feelings attached to it.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 8:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i tried at 2..he didnt really show any interest until 3 though (when he started head start)..thats when he learned to write his name..in pre k they still just expected them to write names...now he is in kindergarten and is doing pretty good with all his letters
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• dd is 4 and will be 5 in Dec. and she still can't write her name & we have been practicing since beginning of Aug. she knows how to do the S, a and can kinda do the t but thats it but she has a long name.......Samantha, but she is advanced in other areas her headstart teacher said.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010