how can I get my 10 year old to stop wetting the bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'm going to be honest, as anon of course. I wet the bed for many years, after going to a psychologist and such, I was told my home environment might have been a big reason. I would wet the bed when my mom would yell a lot that day, or my dad used to beat my mom so every night until he left the house I would wet the bed. The day I got out of the house I never wet the bed again. I was 16. The psychologist was right, I wasn't ever comfortable in my home and wetting the bed was just something I did when home life was unstable
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Talk to the doctor to see if it's physiological or psycological,both are relevant in this case. The most successful thing for me was imipromine but for some people counseling or other medications are best.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 8:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Thatmust be very hard to deal with but I agree with the others. He should be seen by a Pediatrician and hopefully it will be an easily solved thing. But emotional issues usually do figure into bedwetting cases. Good luck.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Limit evening liquids, wake up to go to bathroom when you go to bed. Many children don't fully gain control of night bladder until after the completion of puberty.
    And talk to your pediatrician about seeing a urologist to rule out any medical reasons such as the bladder stopping growth at a young age, infections of the bladder or kidney etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Have him seen by a doctor to make sure there is no medical reason he is wetting the bed. He could have an underdeveloped kidney. Also, have him see a counselor to make sure there is no mental health reason he is wetting the bed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My youngest son still wets the bed from time to time he's 12. Some children are very deep sleepers and don't even realize they are doing it (this is my son). Other children have smaller bladders, and other children maybe scared of the dark so they attempt to hold it rather than get up.
    However I would suggest talking to the pediatrician. In my case there really wasn't anything I could do, he rarely does it but when he's in a deep sleep that's typically when it happens. We limit liquids at night, but overall I think its because he's older and isn't scared to walk down the stairs and he's able to hold his bladder through the night.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• yes i agree with the other moms check wit pedi..it could also be enlarge bladder
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 11:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• No liquid after dinner and he should go to the bathroom right before bed
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010