Do you mothers believe you should be a friend to your children?

I have seen it go both ways. I would like to get some mothers opions becuase I am going though alot with my sons right now and could use some advice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• IMO, to a certain point yes be their friend that way they trust you a little more and will hopefully come to you when they need help or advice. My boys are 14 & 16 and I am both a parent and a friend when need be. It has worked for me because I did start this early on. I grew up with my parents not being my friends and I grew up being very rebellious etc....

Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I want my kids to know they can trust me and talk to me about things- so far so good they are only 9, 7, 3. They need to know that I am the parent, what I say goes... I think there is a fine line between being their parent and their friend. I see parents who try to just be friends th their kids and the kids run all over them. I think it's important for my kids to know that they can talk to me about anything they are going through, and for us to have fun together, but I am the boss and they need to respect that.
    mykidsrock77

Answer by mykidsrock77 at 12:16 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• No, I'm no child's friend.

"Friends" are found among your peers, no matter what age range is in discussion. Children can view adults as people who can be counted on to fix things if they're wrong or bad. They should be able to talk to us, not as friends, but as rescuers, mentors, authority figures and disciplinarians.

"Friends" keep your secrets. Adults know that any secret more serious than "I slipped my green beans to the dog" need to be dealt with appropriately.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:22 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I am not my childrens friend. I am their mother, first and foremost. I will be there for them and talk with them, I do want them to come to me with problems. But, I am a mommy it makes things easier, trust me. I was raised that way and I love my mom for it . I respected her more for being my mom and not my friend.
    welchv84

Answer by welchv84 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I have no problem being friendly toward my children but you can bet they know I'm Mom first and foremost! I have 2 teenage girls who are a lot more responsible than alot of their friends are. I feel it's my job to get them ready for the real world - a friend doesn't do that. As of now both of my girls can cook, clean, do laundry, grocery shop, budget /manage money/pay bills (my 17 yo started helping to do this this past summer with my $ - she's a senior this year and I feel she needs to know the ins and outs of running a household.) and actually stay within it. They know $ doesn't grow on trees. If they don't get the lessons from home where will they get it?! Not from their friends! I'm a Mom first and a friend/cool mom 2nd LOL :P
    Luvmycolliesx2

Answer by Luvmycolliesx2 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• OF COURSE, but I also believe in being a mom from hell as necessary. Why can't I be both??
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:33 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• You have to be a parent, they have friends. This doesn't mean you can't have fun with them but teaching them right from wrong and disciplining them comes first. If you don't do it now you will have major problems later.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:41 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Parent first, friend second
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I am going to have to disagree

I will be my childs friend till the end no matter what
    I am always here for him of course and will try to steer him in the right direction but some tumes even what we think is right might not always be so I want to be here for him and if you are a drill sargent instead of a friend it wont work
    plus my kids badass . alot of older moms think this is wrong for me but oh well thats my choice. I had him when I was 17 so I am still kind of growing with him

But enough rambling, i will be his friend. being a mother to him is a given
    SexxyMomma26

Answer by SexxyMomma26 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• as a young child and preteen-Mom first, friend when possible. Somewhere in the late teen years (when depends on your childs maturity level) it starts leveling out. What we are preparing them for is to live their own lives- that means some time soon after 18/HS graduation we are their advisor and friend, and they are in charge of their life. We will always be Mom, but also friend.
    MysticFerret

Answer by MysticFerret at 2:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2008