My dog just had a puppy, and doesnt want to eat!!

My almost 3 year old yorkie -shih tzu mix had 1 puppy on friday, and she will not eat!!! She has not even touched her food. She will take tabe scraps, but wont even touch her own food. I have been giving her scraps for the sake of the pup, but how can I get her to eat her own food ( which she formerly LOVED!!!)

o0o_Alleigh_o0o

Asked by o0o_Alleigh_o0o at 11:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Pets

• I would take her to a vet she may have had some problems that are unknown to you.
    TheEyesDesire

Answer by TheEyesDesire at 11:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• try cottage cheese or boiled chicken ground up and unseasoned. She may not be eating "her" food because it doesn't have what she needs to feed her puppy - dogs have an uncanny ability to choose what they need to eat.

The fact that she is eating, even if it is not what you want her to eat, tells me that she is probably okay. My dog was recently spayed, and she won't eat kibble anymore. We are feeding her cooked eggs, cooked chicken and brown rice.

It you are concerned, call the vet. They'll be happy to talk with you.

lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Try what a vet calls the bland diet. Use chicken broth and rice and mix it in with her food. This will give it flavor and everything else she needs.
    s_r_d3

Answer by s_r_d3 at 3:56 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• My bitches didn't have much of an appetite after whelping. Be certain she's drinking plenty of water so she doesn't become dehydrated. Sounds as though your bitch is fatigued....what does your vet say?
    pdxmilf

Answer by pdxmilf at 1:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• It can take awhile sometimes. I know when my cat had kittens, she didn't eat for almost 3 days, but she did drink A LOT of water. The vet said she was fine and just not ready to eat yet.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2008