wanted to have my tubes tie but...

my dr pretty much told me i cant do it until i am like 25. i was really mad. so here is my question. why can i go out and have an abortion at any age cause "its my body" and yet i cant get my tubes tied. would this upset anyone else? maybe its just me but it doesnt seem fair.

Ronnies_Girl

Asked by Ronnies_Girl at 12:28 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• thats so weird i have never heard that and when i was 17 at OU medical in OKC they asked me if i wanted to i looked at them like what are you erious im 17 so this whole 25 thing is new to me
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 12:29 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• ..how old are you and is this your first?? im 23, and w my insurance its 21(county insurance) i did hear about the 25 thing, but how many you have or pregnancies you had also play a part. i think they just really want us to be sure we dont want anymore..even though we can get abortions when ever we want, we can still get preggo again if we choose to..this is something permanent and irreversable...im on my 3rd and if its a boy im def getting it...if girl im not.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I got mine done at 28 - my Dr told me he would clamp them just in case I changed my mind. I told him I would never change my mind (I had my 2 kids at 26 & 28) He asked me what if something happened to my girls dad and later on down the line I met someone else and wanted more children. I told him that he better come with his own because the incubator is CLOSED!!! LOL
    It had nothing to do with my pregnancies - they went great! LUVEDD being pregnant! Just knew that 2 was all I wanted or could afford :) So I told him to cut, burn, throw one one way and the other the other way so there was no chance in He** that they would grow back. I did have to seek counceling before also - since I was so young. for this type of precedure But this was 15 years ago :)
    Nique/MI
    Luvmycolliesx2

Answer by Luvmycolliesx2 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I thought about it once and my DR said my insurance required a 3 month waiting period (to be sure it is what I really wanted), because it costs twice as to undue it. I was 30 at the time. I never did go through with it though.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 2:31 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• If it isn't an insurance matter, you could just try a different doctor. Or, have you heard of Essure? It is a nonsurgical way of blocking your tubes so the egg can't get through (less recovery time, less pain, just as effective if not MORE effective, etc). I had it done a few weeks ago. Dr. kept asking me questions because I'm still in my 20's, but I just told her that if we ever wanted more kids we would adopt again, not have any more biologically. Which we won't, but I said that to make them feel better about doing the procedure!
    icook

Answer by icook at 9:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i am 21 will be 22 and this is my second child. i have my girl and my boy and thats all i want. kids are a blessing but i dont want to be stupid and have more kids than i can take care of financily. my parents had 4 kids and it was hard sometimes. its not an insurance thing and my dr said she thought anybody who would do this for me was just in it for the money. and she also asked me what i would do if my husband and two kids died in an accident. and i thought what i am just supposed to go out and get a brand new family. my husband is the love of my life and my soul mate. if something happened to him i would never remarry!
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 10:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• It's usually because young women change their minds. They think they don't want another child only to have a situation come up where they do. It's not really because of insurance. You have nine months waiting and doctors will usually go ahead with all the paperwork before you give birth so it can be done right after.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2008