Is this normal for a 34 month old? Could my son be gifted, maybe?

My son seems to have an amazing memory. He will be 3 in December. Today he saw a commercial that had a pack and play in it and he said "Remember when I was in a pack and play and Grammy and Pa-Pa's? It was fun!" (And that was last Christmas.) 2 weeks ago we went to a playground that we hadn't been to in a little over a year -13 months to be exact. When we drove up to it, he immediately asked about an old friend of his (that had moved) and asked if he'd be there. Then I remember the last time we went there, over a year ago, he played with his friend that he was talking about. Also a few months ago, I missed a turn and went into the parking lot at Furr's and he immediately talked about eating there with his grandparents - which was well over a year before. And we hadn't eaten there since. So I was just wondering if your kids do this????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow that's great. One of my daughters actually has the same thing and she started remembering things like your son at around 24 months. Now she is 5, and she is incredibly smart. So, your son definitely may be gifted. Those are pretty vivid details for him to remember.

You could try getting one of the Leap Pad learning systems for him. My daughter got one around his age at first and it greatly helped improve her skills (and encouraged her to use her memory).
    o-Chelsea-o

Answer by o-Chelsea-o at 12:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My now 5 year old remembers in detail things that happened when he was only 1. He's in kindergarten now, and the teacher is amazed with him. She said it is very rare to find a kid with that vivid of a memory.
    The best part of his memory is that his daddy passed away when he was 1, and he still remembers him. Everyone tried to tell me that he would never remember him, or anything about him. It makes me feel better that he still comes up to me and makes me play a certain song .. cuz it was his and daddy's song. :)
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 1:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• encourage it! i would love to hear those things come out of my kids mouths! you're kids gonna be a genius in school!!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• my daughhter (4) remembers stuff like that too..she remembers when we moved and how she helped me rip the plastic off of our new couches, she remembers a path we walked on one time where she saw a cat..she remembers a picture of when she was crying, and what the reason was that she was crying for..its amazing..but when it comes to learning stuff like in preschool or what not..lol..nope..not a chance in hell..she still cant figure out her abc's..she knows the song..but to see them on paper and figure it out..nope..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:31 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• no
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My 11 year old still remembers things from when he was very small, a toddler. And he always seemed to remember everything from a very young age! I used to think it was because I mentioned it and he thought he remembered, but sometimes he would bring up things that I hadn't thought about in years. He is smart, but no genius. Still has a good memory for things that interest him, but an A/B student, with an occasional C. And a typical 11 year old.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My son is 5. I say all of the time that he has a memory like an elephant. He can see something one time and remember it forever. He is very good with sight words. He can see if once or twice and then remember it and know how to spell it. This will help your kids in school for sure.
    2003HotMomma

Answer by 2003HotMomma at 9:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My little brother is exactly like that. He would remember how to get home from the daycare, what turns we had to take, when he was 2 and 1/2. He can remember things starting from about when he was 1. Special places that I took him, going fishing with my husband when he was 2, me trying to get him to eat cottage cheese and he hated it (which is very strage because he was really small then!!) Really weird memories too, some that I can't think of right this second, but things that he has brought up and I was amazed because it was something so unimportant to me, but he remembered it for some reason. I can't wait until my son is old enough to start remembering things and talking about it!!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 9:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Very smart child of yours, however I wouldn't consider him being "gifted".

Today's kids are very bright. I have a 4 year old son that knew his ABC's and most numbers by SEEING before his 2nd birthday. Shorty after, we started teaching him his shapes and colors. This was BEFORE he started daycare or preschool. He's now in headstart and is way ahead of his class. He knows more than his fellow classmates and he loves to learn new things.
    His older brothers (that are 12 and 11 year old) didn't learn so quickly when they were toddlers. My 4 year old was the only child that was breastfed, so maybe it was te breastmilk. LOL!

I also saw on youtube how smart some toddlers are. There was one little girl at 3 years old, knew spanish and all 50 states. There was also a 2 1/2 year old boy that knew the make and model of 42 cars...by the NAME and picture of the cars. Again, today's kids are extremely smart!
    MrsProCT

Answer by MrsProCT at 11:05 AM on Oct. 22, 2008