can i eat deli meats while pregnant?

with my 1st pregnancy i didnt care much for sandwiches, but with this 1 its all i want and i have read some articles but i was wondering if i heat or cook the meat than is it safe to eat. I really dont wanna harm my baby

Asked by Snavarro08 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's fine, as long as you heat them up first. Cook hot dogs completely, and you can either toast/grill a sandwich or nuke the meat before making the sandwich.

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I never even heard about that. I eat deli meats throughout my entire pregnancy;, probably 4 times a week a didn't heat them up once. My dd was born healthy

Answer by Liz132 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• they say that it is not safe but all i wanted while pregnant was a turkey sandwich!!! i ate it and my daughter is fine! ask ur doc for a list of safe foods they should have one!

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i have heard you can eat it if you cook the meat, i did and my little man came out healthy and 8 lbs 5.5 oz and 23 in long lol, but if you are still worried you could try getting larger pieces of meat and just using that meat for sandwhiches.

Answer by JennaJ721 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I ate deli sammies all throughout my pregnancy. Just heat the meat until it steams.

Answer by Fallaya at 9:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• lol all i want is a turkey sandwhich also with some hot cheetos

Comment by Snavarro08 (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I didn't with my oldest... Now I'm on number 3 and don't not eat anything...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• The dr will tell you not to but I do have a sandwich every now and then. I just try not to over do it.

Answer by matayanmommy at 11:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• so long as you arent eating it constantly its fine. i had a sandwich or hot dog several times in my pregnancy and had no complications or baby problems. shoot, i had tuna once a week and there were no problems. it really depends on your pregnancy and how you feel about eating it.

Answer by okmanders at 12:05 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• They make Nitrate Free Deli meats and without all the bad stuff you can't have while pregnant. Even hot dogs can be found that are nitrate free. They even all taste so much better than all the other deli meats and hot dogs with all the bad stuff in it. I found these products right next to the other deli meats.

Answer by Congenial at 1:51 AM on Sep. 28, 2010