Do you havt honor your father & mother if their conduct is reproachful?

& why? I'm talkin your parents,parents of kids you know,etc.

Lovelymee23

Asked by Lovelymee23 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think there is a difference between "honor" and choosing to keep them in your life. My dad was/is a horrible father to me. I would not go out of my way to disrespect him in public, but in no way is he a welcome part of my life. I think as children you are required to "honor" your parents, but as an adult you can chose who to honor. and if your parents are not honorable people, you are in no way required to do so.
    IMO
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I don't think so. Parents have to earn respect and honor through their actions. If a parent is horribly abusive, their child doesn't have to "honor" them. The children need to get past it and understand that the parent is not a good parent. And realize that they have a choice to not emulate the parents and to improve upon the past by not repeating it.
    MY parents were good people and I guess you could say I honored them.
    I really don't know what that term means.
    My friends all had nice,normal parents too. We were lucky.
    But of parents area abusive or ctiminal,etc. do they deserve honor just because they had you? I don't think so.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If your talking about the commandment of "honor thy mother and father"? I asked my priest about this very thing, what it means exactly. He said to make sure they have a proper burial when they pass. That's it.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2010