35 weeks pregant and i cant sleep

ok so for a week and a half i have not been able to fall asleep does anyone know any way to help that wont hurt the baby?

Dorriansmom1984

Asked by Dorriansmom1984 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I was the same way when I got into my third trimester. What I did was get one of those support pillows (the foam ones that are super soft) that go between your legs or on your back so it gives you an extra amount of comfort and support and sleep on your side (if it's comfortable for you & the baby) and just turn on the tv or read (reading always makes me tired) and just rest. Eventually you'll fall asleep if you make yourself comfortable.
    o-Chelsea-o

Answer by o-Chelsea-o at 12:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i am 35 weeks too. i discovered that my bed is just too soft, which normally the softer the better for me. but i took a nap on the futon, which might as well be the floor, and it was great. i've been sleeping there since lol. try to avoid anything stimulating for a half hour before bed, including tv and computer screens. it makes it hard for your eyes to settle down. reading is good, also some chamomile tea should help.
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Lol it's very common. I'm not sleeping well either. If you're staying at home just nap and rest when you can. Just rest when you can and don't over exert yourself when you're tired. The pillow thing does help a lot. I wad up my blanket and tuck it in between my legs and it helps me get comfortable. My doc also said that in DESPERATE messures you can take a tylenol PM to get through the night. As long as it doesn't turn into an everynight thing, it's ok.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 12:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• You can lay any way you want that doesn't physically cause you pain. That whole "lay on your left side" stuff is lame unless you have a medical condition that requires it. Use TONS of pillows, one between your legs. When I got to be about 8 months, my hips would KILL me. I would have to turn over every two hours. If you can take naps during the day, go for it.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 1:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• So I agree with everyone that says to get a pillows all around you, put them under your hips, BETWEEN YOUR LEGS, since most discomfort is caused by the weight of baby bearing down on the pubic bone and causing hip disalignment. Putting a pillow inbetween your legs relieves this, and will help you go to sleep. Also drinking Chamomile Tea (with a little honey), works wonders, Celestial Seasonings (a brand of tea) has a tea called Sleepy Time...it's the bomb. Avoid anything that causes stimulation, including foods, if you are eating too late it may be causing interference with your sleep cycle, or you could be the opposite and need to eat a snack before bed to help stave the growth of baby during the night.
    smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 1:31 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Is your baby ultra active during the night (this is my problem with pregnancy) my babies like to wake up at about 3 A.M. and not go back to sleep till 6, when it's time for me to get up (while they are in the womb). I found that when this happens, if I ate, it would settle them down. If I drank warm liquids, rubbed my belly, and took a bath right before I went to bed. A nice warm bath with lavendar oil, and bubbles, some soft music, and a humidifier. LOTS OF PILLOWS and uh la la, sleep is on the way!!! (hopefully)!
    smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 1:33 AM on Oct. 22, 2008