Night weaning issues

My DS just turned 1! Anyway he sleeps from about 7pm-4 AM. I get up at 6AM and am guilty about putting him in the bed with me from 4am-6am. This wouldn't be a problem but he wants to breastfeed from 4-6AM. I am trying to regain my fertility and think this might be hurting my chances. I know he doesn't need to eat and is using me as a pacifer. But if I take him off the boob and just try to get im to sleep with me he just cries. And if I try to put him to bed but not feed him back to sleep he cries.
Any suggestions. Should I feed him at like 4am until he is back to sleep then put him back in his crib? Would that help me more than him eating for 2 hours (fertility wise?)
Should I let him cry it out? That is hard for me. He doesn't take a paci either.
I am down to pumping once a day (I know I don't need to but I am weaning myself off the pump too). Bf (4-6AM he is in bed with me attached), pump at 12PM, bf at 7pm.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do I need to wean to get pregnant?
    Probably not. If you are still transitioning to full fertility (as discussed above), breastfeeding may affect the success of implantation. Once implantation is successful, breastfeeding should not affect a healthy pregnancy (see A New Look at the Safety of Breastfeeding During Pregnancy for more information). If your periods have come back and settled into a regular pattern, it is likely that breastfeeding is no longer affecting your fertility.

Many moms can conceive without deliberately changing their toddler's nursing patterns. There is no "magic" threshold of breastfeeding that will allow you to conceive -- every mother is different. Some moms need to stretch out nursing frequency and/or shorten nursing sessions to make it easier to conceive -- babies naturally do this themselves as they get older, so one of your options is simply to wait a bit.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:19 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• bump
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:56 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• did you get your period back yet? i have never let my dd cio and never will. she nurses for food and comfort during the night. i don't see anything wrong with it, or letting it continue. plenty of women get pregnant while nursing. you may dry up when you get pregnant, which will take care of the weaning for you. why do you think it is affecting your fertility?

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• still haven't gotten my first post partam period back yet
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Changes that are more abrupt tend to bring fertility back faster (e.g., cutting out one nursing session abruptly, rather than gradually decreasing nursing time at that session) --even if you continue to breastfeed a great deal-- this is why many mothers experience the return of fertility when their child sleeps through the night or starts solid foods. If you decide to make changes to your nursing pattern, the time of day that you make the change (e.g., cutting out or shortening a nighttime nursing session as opposed to a daytime nursing session) should not make that much of a difference. Current research indicates that nursing frequency and total amount of time at the breast per 24 hours are the most important factors, rather than the time of day that the suckling occurs.

A few moms do find it impossible to conceive while nursing, but this is not at all common.
    kyriesmommy13

• Many mothers wonder whether breastfeeding will affect the reliability of pregnancy tests. It does not -- pregnancy tests measure the amount of the hormone hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in blood or urine, and hCG levels are not affected by breastfeeding. The developing placenta begins releasing hCG upon implantation; a pregnancy can generally be detected with a pregnancy test within 7-14 days after implantation.

For more information, see Getting Pregnant While Breastfeeding by Hilary Flower.
    kyriesmommy13

• So you're breastfeeding and dreaming of a new baby? Good news! Lots of moms are able to conceive a new baby without having to wean their current nursling. Let's look at seven of the most common questions.

Do I have to wean in order to get pregnant?
    Probably not. It is true that breastfeeding can delay the return of fertility, especially while frequency and duration of breastfeeding sessions remain high. But most women can become fully fertile while still breastfeeding.1
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:20 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Is there a way to bring my fertility back sooner?
    Try tinkering with your breastfeeding pattern. Each pair is different. There is no magic or typical threshold of breastfeeding intensity which predicts the return of fertility. Abrupt changes generally bring back fertility more rapidly and at a higher threshold of breastfeeding frequency than gradual changes.1

Of course, you and your child would have to be ready for a radical change. And bear in mind, your body may be trying to space your children more so as to prolong the special status your current nursling is enjoying!

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:21 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My menstrual cycle has returned; am I fertile yet?
    If you are experiencing regular menstrual cycles, and if you were normally fertile before, chances are you have returned to normal fertility. Long, short, or irregular cycles can be a sign that your cycles are not yet fertile. Sometimes it's just the way your body works; it helps if you have a record of your cycles from before you were breastfeeding.1

How can I tell if I am fertile?
    If you wish to know more about your fertility status, you can gain remarkable insights using simple family planning methods. Toni Weschler, MPH, includes a section on charting during breastfeeding in her wonderful guide Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Can I get pregnant before my first period?
    Yes! Some lucky and patient moms manage to "catch the first egg." While you are still amenorrhoeic you can monitor your returning fertility on a family planning chart. Patience is the key, because the amenorrheic period when changes are occurring can involve weeks or months of wet cervical fluid. Weschler's Taking Charge of Your Fertility has great information on this.

I have had problems with infertility in the past; should I wean before treatments?
    If you're eager to become pregnant first steps may include charting some cycles or reducing breastfeeding to evaluate your fertility status. If you are not ready to try to conceive, though, you may do well to take precautions since fertility reversals do occur.
    (cont)
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:23 AM on Sep. 29, 2010