Watery bowel movements, 2 month old

My son is exclusively breast fed, ever since he was about four weeks old he has had only watery or foamy bm's I thought it was a dairy allergy or that maybe he was not getting enough hindmilk, yet I have seen no improvement even though I have not had any dairy in the last month and a half also I make sure he gets enough hindmilk.
I have recently stopped eating anything with soy and gluten (I am starving) and I do not eat meat of any kind. I thought it might be some kind of allergy. He is gaining weight and seems to not be in any sort of distress. Any ideas?

Khelmoria

Asked by Khelmoria at 12:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Health

• maybe he is just bound to have runny poos? my son has always had less than solid bowel movements...
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• when a baby is only breastfed his bowel movements will be runny. as long as it has little seedlike dots (like sesame seeds), it is normal.
    lilbabie85

Answer by lilbabie85 at 1:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• It's very normal for bf babies to have watery bowel movements, and to also have less of them than formula fed babies. It's because breast milk is so perfectly designed to be absorbed and used by babies, there's very little "waste" to come out. Basically, it's because breast milk is the most efficient food for their little bodies to absorb. (this is NOT a slam on formula feeding, simply a medical fact about breast milk).

As long as your baby is thriving, meaning they are gaining weight / growing, and are wetting diapers regularly, then you don't have anything to worry about.

Unless there are other reasons to suspect an allergy, I wouldn't worry about eliminating all that from your diet. I would go back to eating a regular, healthy, balanced diet and not sweat it. Once your baby starts solids (or, if you choose, is given formula), then they will start having more solid movements.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I brestfed for 8 months and this happened to my son as well. I think until they eat solids. But your eating habits change the way your breastmilk is also. Listen to his tummy. If it sounds grumpy alot and he seems to constantly be in a bad mood then I would say there is something wrong there. But if he is happy go lucky and gaining weight then i wouldnt worry about it to much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Oct. 22, 2008