so this whole crying it out thing??

well my daughter is 7 months old and stopped sleeping all night at 5 months old when she started teething. she wakes up every 2-3 hours for a diaper change and a bottle. she sleeps with a fan on and her music box. my hubby thinks we should try this crying it out thing. so how long do u think we should wait until we go get her and give her a bottle? im thinking about 15min?

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I only give my baby a bottle once a night, if she needs it. At 7 months old, she is probably able to go all night without one, especially if she had a big dinner with actual food. I would let my kids cry for about 15 minutes, then I would go in and rock them for about 2 minutes and lay them back down. They will cry again, but after a few times they go to sleep. After a week or so they got tired of crying and would cry for 3-4 minutes when I first laid them down and then sleep all night. Crying is just their way of trying to comfort themselves to sleep. They learn to comfort themselves and learn to fall asleep without a bottle or mommy rocking them.
    Make sure she always has a clean diaper and all that, and dont give her a bottle in bed. She will associate bed with bottle and will never be able to sleep without it, and it could give her early cavities...IDK if you do that or not, alot of people do. Good luck!
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 9:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i disagree with that method but thats just my opinion. i held mine everytime she cried , but i just couldnt stand to hear her cry, it broke my heart. but she's 5 now and just fine.
    kyredz

Answer by kyredz at 9:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Tough situation. Make sure 1. she's fed before bed so she's not waking out of hunger. 2. Consider Motrin for teething. Hyland tablets and even Tylenol weren't helpful for both my boys. Motrin was the only thing that worked. Sounds like she's in the habit of waking now, so it's about breaking the pattern by trying different things first. That said, we did CIO with both kids with great success. But we made sure the above things were covered. Took about three days at night of 40 mins to 20 minutes of crying and then fast asleep. I felt badly but they are great sleepers to this day.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• oh my god since she breastfeeds it is NORMAL to get up every two hours!!! ididnt see that. MINE breastfed til she was 4 months old and that was the pattern! my husband was verry mean about the "burden" of breastfeeding., See, breastmilk digests and dissolves sooooo oquickly becaus eit is so pure, formula takes longer and babaies liek that feel fuller longer, soooo you are doign so good!!! because i stopped bf'ing she now sleeps but you cant do that when you are breastfeeding PLEASE. she is looking to you and is genuinely hungry mommy! she is not fakign or being dependent, listen to this please. i even called my local large hospitals warm line to ask a nurse and she said giver her that breast dont hold out because she needs milk IN her and she will grow out of anything gradually each day. it is just the nature of breastfeeding!! enjoy it!! i loved it and didnt mind at all.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• She is breastfed? It's normal for some babies to wake to eat at that age.
    I would NEVER, ever let my babies cry... It's neglect IMO...
    Do you co sleep? That might help everyone get more sleep if you nurse her on your side while you both go back to sleep.
    Good luck! It doesn't last forever.
    Randi02

Answer by Randi02 at 11:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i cant stand for her to cry too but i need sleep and she cant be hungry every 2 hours. she makes it 4 hours during the day! she doesnt take a binki since i bf
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• NO! i still hold her a few seconds and give her a bottle right away and guess what? she goes to SLEEp right away too!! at this age according to parenting magazine, addressing your INFANTS needs right away will not develop a dependency it will teach her you are trustworth y in her eyes for attending to her hunger or comfort. you CANNOT spoil an infant. my six month old is ONLY starting to sleep thru the night, but sometimes wakes for abottle and so what i give it and she pops right back into lalalland. even at 2am right back. this is healthier for her than in the darlk screaming thinking shes all alone in the house!! she has no idea!!! remember we are not :gettign our babay to DO" anything,,, the world is BIG DRY and on the COLD side for an infant. tell you hubby this will too pass, and it will be over fore you know it. right now she has been sleeping since 7 pm and it is now 10 pm. she may not wake or maybe at 2. its ok.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Here is a great article another Mom posted about the CIO method. I saved it to my favorites so when the advice was asked for, I could post it. Basically, follow your instincts. If they tell you to pick up your baby and comfort her as she cries, that's what you should do.
    Here is the link:
    http://mothering.com/parenting/crying-for-comfort
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• She is just like an adult who gets up in the middle of the night for a wee and a peanut butter sandwich. You have to retrain her to go back to sleep. If she wants a bottle, put about 6 oz of water in it and then decrease it until it is only about 1 oz and then no bottle. Don't change her. Get up the first night after crying 5 min., then 7, then 9, then 11.........she will extinguish the behavior. Oh, don't talk to her, sing, or cuddle.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• At this age, it is completely normal for her tow ake this often. It's actually NOT normal for them to sleep longer than a couple of hours. You do need to feed her, sorry.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2010