Teaching SELF-CONTROL in a Society THAT SAYS.. DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT!

When kids melt down in the middle of a crowded store, at a holiday dinner with extended family, or at home, it can be extremely frustrating. But parents can help kids learn self-control and teach them how to respond to situations without just acting on impulse.

Teaching self-control skills is one of the most important things that parents can do for their kids because these are some of the most important skills for success later in life.

HOW DO YOU TEACH YOUR CHILDREN... OF ALL AGES SELF-CONTROL IN THIS SOCIETY??

AND IS THIS SOCIETY HINDERING PARENTS FROM TEACHING THIS ESSENTIAL ELEMENT OF CHARICTER?

OR ARE THE PARENTS THE REASON THAT THE KIDS AREN'T LEARNING SELF-CONTROL.. IN THIS INSTANT GRATIFICATION SOCIETY.. WHERE YOU SPEND YOUR WAY INTO DEBT JUST SO YOU CAN HAVE WHAT YOUR PARENT'S TOOK 50 YEARS TO GAIN...?

MAKEMYDAY101

Asked by MAKEMYDAY101 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• 1. We teach our son self-control by talking to him. When he does something that isn't tolerated, we tell him exactly what it is he did, why it is unacceptable, and what will happen if he does it again. I think sometimes kids need to know why something is wrong, and not just, "hey, don't do that again". We also have consequences that are more than just, "you're grounded for a week." We try to make the consequences have some kind of meaning related to the bad behavior. That goes hand-in-hand with accountability. If we make our son accountable for his actions, then he is more likely to think through before he acts on bad behavior.

2. Society is definitely a problem, but it isn't the majority of the problem. A lot of parents have no accountability to themselves, let alone their children. We cannot always look to place blame elsewhere. Our children make mistakes, we hold them accountable, so that the next time they are faced ..
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 9:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I have always busted my kids' butts so they learn to behave and what is / is not appropriate. After all, I have to live with them, it's ME they embarrass when they act out, so yes, it's on the parents. A child must be taught. not to mention, in life, the person who is capable of controling themselves, is the person others will gravitate toward and befriend. It's just a vital skill. When I see adults freak out, I think they are social misfits, really. They are fools and I don't want to put up with their crap.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• ...with the bad behavior, they have the knowledge to make the right decision, and hopefully the integrity to make it.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 9:56 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Wow really I teach by example and I think it worked for my sons.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Self-control isn't quite as easy as it seems for all children. My son has ADHD and is extremely impulsive, so we are constantly working at self-control...any helpful hints would be great!!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My kids are teens now, but the biggiest tool I use to measure their success on self control comes from other parents compliments about how well behaved my kids are. Their teachers comments about what good students they are and when my kids volunteer their time for something, they are highly complemented in front of me. I think thats something special right there. Im really proud of my kids for that. Im hoping that the self control that was taught to them when they where little is paying off, it sure seems to be. :)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2010