Public, private, or homeschool? Your thoughts...

What are your views on public education? Private education or homechooling? What do you think is best for your kids, even though they are trying to improve public intstruction.

siimply_me

Asked by siimply_me at 9:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I went to private school (Catholic) K- BS degree. My husband went to Catholic school through HS and attended public university. Our kids attended Catholic school K-Hs and public undergrad. Our oldest attended a private graduate school. I like the discipline and no nonsense approach to Catholic education. The public universities in CA are excellent and cheap-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Learning happens every day for us :) We chose a public Montessori Program. I don't think that a teacher can teach 25 + students in a class without help. The Montessori has three adults in a room of 20 kids, my daughter is in Grade 1 with Grade 1, 2 and 3 all in her class, she is learning to work in groups, to learn from others (the bigs teach the littles) and how to direct herself with all of the things she needs to get done in a week.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 9:56 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think it depends on where you live. In my area, the public schools are usually pretty good. As a public educator, I think private schools are OK if you want to include religious education in the day, or for some special ed kids. (nothing against private school- I just think in most cases that money is better saved for college). I think homeschooling (for the MOST part) is risky- some people do it very well, but it's difficult to do correctly. I also think people who homeschool better have some background or training in education. Those with very intelligent kids will be fine, but there are too many former homeschooled kids who come back into public ed. who are very behind because their parents didn't recognize their learning problems
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 9:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My public school is a HUGE freakin JOKE. I am so pissed at them right now for so many levels and am SERIOUSLY looking into homeschooling. They throw 2 BIG parties a year that the kids with perfect attendance for the AYP month get to attend...but let the kids work their butts off for good grades and they get a cute little paper certificate......great :/ And then there was today when I asked that the school counselor ( that completely lacks professionalism) no longer be allowed to pull my child from class without me being notified and the principal ACTUALLY SAID she was "worried about a parent that didnt want their child to See the counselor" umm...that KINDA sounded like a threat.....I think the Public School System is to focused on TESTS, and attendance, and TESTS, and "fixing" our kids, and teaching agendas and NOT on TEACHING our kids the BASICS and THATS why we are falling behind other countries!!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I attended both private (elementary & college; non-religious) and public (high school), and I feel they were all quality institutions. (Although I think the curricula at my old elementary school was probably more diverse than the HS I moved to; many of the kids went off to top-rated colleges and graduated speaking at least two other languages in addition to their native tongue.)

That said, private school can be really, really expensive, which is why my family moved to an area that has an excellent public elementary school. It was a pain to find a house here that we can afford, but it was either public school or figure out a way to pay almost $20,000 per year for private school. (And that's for elementary!) Our son won't be entering Kindergarten until 2015, so I just hope that our public school doesn't take a nose-dive in the next couple of years.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 10:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Most of my education was in the public school system. I honestly didn't learn as much as I should have.
    If it were up to me, I'd send my children to private schools, where uniforms are required, and manners, behavior and common sense are part of the curriculum. I don't want them held down by social pressures the way I was, and it sucks growing up poor in a world where kids still look at expensive brand names as a badge of value.
    mommymonkey

Answer by mommymonkey at 10:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Public. But I guess I was lucky to attend schools in a very good district in Minnesota where education is a priority. And my children went to good public schools everywhere we lived. We were an Air Force family and we moved several times when they were school age. My Grandchildren all attend public schools in Minnesota and Chapel Hill ,NC.
    Private schools do not guarantee a superior education....they have "snob appeal" but do not always deliver. ANd Home schooling seems to appeal to the frightened, isolated type of family . Or the extremely religious. In either case, do we know if the home schooling Mom has a degree? Usually not.
    I vote for public schools .
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I chose private school for my DD. First of all, homeschooling was not an option for us.I believe my daughter deserves to experience school life,make friends,socialize,be part of a "society", go to prom and be independant.I'm not bashing on anybody who homeschools their child, I just don't want that for my own child.

Now, why I chose private school over public school. As much as public education has improved, I believe private schools are still the best way to go. I believe private school teachers are more careful and involved (because they can easily lose their job, I'm not saying they are better people) and children are better behaved because they can easily be suspended if they misbehave or get low grades.

They also have the means to educate my child better- a HUGE library, science lab, gym, indoor pool, horseback riding, tennis and many other sports. Sadly, in America it's X amount equals X quality. Just my opinion.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 10:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Two of mine did the private school for a few years, and then I homeschooled all 4 of them. I know only have 2 left in schooling and they do an online school at home. It is a lot easier than having to do it all myself. Our public schools are terrible here...
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Private schools probably offer an all around better education. Unfortunaltely that is not an option for most people. We need to do something about improving public schools now. My 13 year old is gifted and he is in a special program through public school and I am happy with that. My 11 year old son is in mainstream public school and it needs improvement.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 27, 2010