how to get my 9 year old off the couch and into his own bed?

he will only go to sleep upstairs if i go up there and lay with him until he falls asleep, and when i get up in the morning he is back on the couch.

hollieshobbie

Asked by hollieshobbie at 9:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• have u asked him what wrong?
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 9:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• He must be scared. Find out why and see if you can help him overcome this.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• lol....you just described my son! I actually have found something that seems to be working, its only been a few days, but its worth a shot at least. My son wants a new skateboard sooooo bad! so I told him, if he can stay in his own bed the WHOLE night for 2 weeks, I will buy him a new skateboard. But, if I come downstairs and see him on the couch at all, he has to start over (even if its been a week and a half into it). You have to stick with the agreement as well. No reward a day or two early, it will only send out mixed signals. Good luck on it.
    lilmans_mommy

Answer by lilmans_mommy at 9:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My son sleeps on the couch on the weekends and whenever he doesn't have school. If he's feeling bad, he is in my bed. Otherwise, he sleeps in his bed. At least that is where he is when I go to bed and when I got to wake him up in the morning. LOL
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 10:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i have asked and he is scared that someone will break in and hurt him. i have also tried the reward system, he is all for it until bedtime. he wants to have a friend over and i told him that he has to sleep in his own room first and that has not even worked. we also had an alarm system put in hoping that he would feel safe, but it backfired and now he thinks that since we have the system then we must be scared also to have put this in.
    hollieshobbie

Comment by hollieshobbie (original poster) at 10:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Have you tried letting him listen to music at night? Or some other type of "white noise"? My son can't sleep with out it. Everynight, there is music on and a lava lamp LOL But hey, it works... He usually turns on the Satelite music channels and puts it on "Tranquility" which is basically elevator music... his choice... not mine. :)
    AaronsMom79

Answer by AaronsMom79 at 11:16 AM on Sep. 28, 2010