ARE AMERICANS OVER "MEDICATED?"

In the past three generations, increasing numbers of Americans have been prescribed antidepressants. In many cases, such prescriptions are the only mental health care the patients receive.
One cause of the rise in antidepressant use is that many doctors conflate conventional sadness—as from the loss of a loved one or a life-changing event such as a divorce—with the more serious and life-quashing condition of clinical depression.
A second contributing factor, the author argues, is a change in the standard diagnostic guide, which caused many milder mental ailments to fall under the seemingly neutral label of “disorder.”

MAKEMYDAY101

Asked by MAKEMYDAY101 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Health

• Of course they are. People don't want to FIX the problem they just want to pop a pill and forget they have it... It's pure laziness that's to blame! People are always amazed when they find out I'm not medicated - I have Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue, BiPolar 2 Disorder and Labyrinthitis - But I see no reason to pop 15 pills a day and ignore that there is an issue that still needs dealt with.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yes

Answer by rkoloms at 9:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yes, I think so.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Well for one, we've come a long way with mental illness so that's good for those in need. But the pharma companies are making a KILLING so that's another reason.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• yes, we are over medicated and not just in the mental health arena.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Over medicated or are we just overly crazy people that dont know how to handle their conditions any other way. Its easier to medicate and numb the problem then to deal with it. But if someone truly needs medication to help cope with a disease of some sort then I see no problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yes I believe America is over medicated. Shit there is a pill for just about anything. Many want a quick fix and take a pill instead of working through things. Look at all the labels that you see with children now. I remember growing up and there would be a kid or two that may have had adhd. Now its like tripled since then. Why are many having these problems. Why do you hear of many forms of cancer on the increase. Its our diet, addictions to meds & over reliance on plastics....IMO
    babybutastink

Answer by babybutastink at 10:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• This is a double edged sword. While there are many people using medications this day age, I feel that a lot of that is because there is more information available now, as well as the fact that science has come a long way from "way back when..." Do too many people just want to take a pill and be done with it? Sure. However, in many many cases, I feel that taking a medication can improve the quality of life. For instance, take a child with ADHD, a child whose parents have tried several counselors and therapists, many doctors, to try and help that child focus on his daily living but to no avail. A child who is failing school because he can't concentrate on two worksheets a day and can't answer a 4 question quiz correctly. This same child, who gets frustrated so easily and to the point of hitting and HURTING himself...

***CONTINUED***
    AaronsMom79

Answer by AaronsMom79 at 12:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Parents who have changed their parenting styles to try to accomadate that child's needs... A child who is full of personality but can't control himself at time and not for lack of trying. After years of trying different options, This same child was put on a low dose medication, he still sees a counselor each week.... He now can function during school, he doesn't hit himself and he can accept and cope with his actions and the consequences that may come of them when he misbehaves. He went from F's to A's and lost no personality, he is as vibrant and active as ever, but is happier. Do I think THAT child is overmedicated? No. I think that child's life has improved.

Now, however, don't get me wrong, there are people who would rather pop a pill and be done...but they are two different classes of people and shouldn't be clumped together.

AaronsMom79

Answer by AaronsMom79 at 1:05 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• WAY over medicated. I think that many people die early not from the diseases they are bring treated for, but the medication they are on. My Grandmother was one of them. She was seriously taking close to 30 pills a day. You can NOT tell me that they weren't interfering with eachother and causing side effects worse than what she was being treated for. There is no doubt in my mind that the medication killed her.
    Kids are overdiagnosed with things these days and instead of trying new diets, new methods, people turn first to medication. Yes, we are thankful it is there for those who truly need it but I'll bet a high percentage of people who take certain medications can cope without it.
    I was recently in a car accident which cause my anxiety to increase and my chest to be so tight that I couldn't breathe properly. The Dr. in urgent care (I went in because I couldn't yawn) heard the word anxiety and prescribed me pristiq CONT
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:17 AM on Sep. 28, 2010