Can someone help me with picking a topic for my English class research paper?

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1624318/OMG_I_need_help_on_this_writing_assignment_lol

That's the link to my journal about it, because I don't have enough room to really explain it here. To sum it up, we have to pick a word that is commonly misused or misunderstood and define it, then show how there is controversy about it. It has to be written in MLA format, and we can use a lot of sources, except Wikipedia. Some examples my professor gave were things like: liberal, conservative, Christian, green/environmentally friendly, American, educated, racist, natural, pornographic, etc.

Some of my thoughts were: Wicca, home birth, Pagan(ism), Heathen, midwives, Satanist, Voodoo, and Witchcraft.

I know I'm over thinking things (I do that a lot), and I'm usually great with English classes, but this paper is driving me nuts lol. Maybe it's because I'm sick or something.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:56 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in

• Which one do you have the highest interest in? The topics you listed in your question are all really good. I think there's a definite misconception with Satanism, Witchcraft, Wicca (two different things, mind you), Paganism, as well as fundamentals of any religious sect.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think the ideas of Wicca or Paganism are very good topics. Sorry I'm not anymore help.
    How about arrogance? People seem to mistake arrogance for conviction a lot, nowadays.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 10:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• paganism would be an awesome subject imo
    PerfectLove910

Answer by PerfectLove910 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think Muslim would be a great topic especially with all the hatred towards their religion right now. You could right about how it is being confused with terrorism. There would be alot of information and examples at hand right now too.
    Good luck, I think that is a fun assignment!
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• the midwives word seems best on that one. another hot one coudl be domestic violence, lots of web sites on that oe but nooooo one wants to talk abotu it. if it were lots of men happening to them theyd be up n arms. its wrong and there should be no controversy! that woudl be the topic of my paper
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Unique.

Unique does not mean "rare". It means one of a kind. Therefore, nothing can be more or less unique than something else.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 10:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Sounds like an awesome assignment!!! A few ideas.... Muslim, marriage, angel, mental illness... you have some great ideas- I'd have a hard time choosing too!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I hate saying this but the one i thought was teenage mom because we get a lot of labels on us that aren't necessarily true. Sometimes yes, but not all the time. Me for instance I'm 18 with a four year old and i'm in college pursuing a degree in Pharmacy. I got pregnant my first time and haven't done anything like that since in fear of it happneing again, unlike others who continue to make the same choice over and over and over and over again (I know TMI but it makes my point). We aren't all the same.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would do "PC" because there is a lot there. What is politically correct and what is ridiculous....mentally challenged. I am electronically challenged, for what it's worth!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Pornographic. Its commonly mis-interpreted.
    Paganism would be cool but, its more of a new age thing and its really self-explanatory.
    Liberal would be another choice.
    Voodoo is interesting.
    Wicca, witchcraft and all that hoop-lah kind of goes with Pagans....Eclectic Paganism is cool but, again, new-age.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 10:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

Next question in
Not sure if its true?

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Do you sleep naked???