I'm being induced on Monday 10/4/10 and I'm wondering what I can expect?

My first born came on his own at 38 weeks and 1 day. It was great, my water broke at around 5:30am and he was born just a few short hours later at 7:48am. This time around I'm being induced if nothing happens between now and then. I'm about 2-3 cm and very thinned out. I've read up on induction and it sounds painful?!

anwilliams77

Asked by anwilliams77 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • eh...probably just expect a longer process. You are pretty favorable for induction though so maybe it wont be as long... with my 3rd son i had to be induced and ended up with the longest labor of them all! lol As for pain wise i didnt think it was much worse...i got an epidural anyway so maybe im not much help there.
    PerfectLove910

Answer by PerfectLove910 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Hi! I was induced with my 2nd child.For me the 2nd time around was not that painful for me.I was dilated 4 cm.I went in the hospital early that morning and was prepped:IV,monitors,epidural,and induced.The whole 9 yards.Within 5 hours I had my son.My pains were like mild menstraul cramps.But everyone is different.Hope this helps.Good luck!
    alisha34886

Answer by alisha34886 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• :-) lol a baby..... Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have been induced twice. It is not painful to get induced, it will be very similar to what you experienced the 1st time. For me, they were a little bit longer labor than the time I wasn't induced. How exciting !! Good luck.......
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• it is a little uncomfortable when they break your water but other than that, its nothing different than your 1st experience..
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Thank you. With my 1st Son my water didn't break till they got me up and were about to put my epidural in. I was a gusher and the nurse had to go change...Lol I went from 3cm to 10cm in 7 minutes. I was just wondering. I've been contracting and thinning for a week now, so maybe by Monday things will go smoothly. Since Sunday as soon as I start walking they start. Sometimes they are back to back and I only cramp in my abdomen, but other times it comes from my back and that's when I wanna climb the wall!
    anwilliams77

Comment by anwilliams77 (original poster) at 10:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• The pitocin caused a problem with me so they took me off of it and my contractions continued and increased very quickly. If you are having an epidural, don't wait long! By the time the guy got to me, it was basically too late. It only worked on half of me before it was time to deliver. The contractions are pretty intense but from the time contractions started to delivery was only 3 hours 45 minutes! Good luck and congrats!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:56 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I wonder if walking would help speed the process up and I would go before Monday? The baby is head down, but not all the way down. It seems as though he is there sometimes and then floats back up...Lol
    anwilliams77

Comment by anwilliams77 (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• why are you being induced? my first child was induced but there was a medical reason for it (malfunctioning placenta). i'll be damned if i let anyone induce me for any other reason... waiting for the natural process is much less stressful (physically) for both baby and mama. my mom and i were just discussing how so many people are getting their labor induced these days and i just don't get it. someone please enlighten me...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Please don't respond to this question with, "inducing doesn't hurt." You never know how people respond to pain.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Well, I'm very short wasted and I've been on meds since June for contractions/cramps, but it's no longer working. They did an ultrasound with my 1st born and said he was only 7lbs at 38 weeks and 1 day. However, when he was born (that same day)...he was 9lbs 7oz and 21.5 inches long. That was my fourth time to the hospital in labor bc I started dilating a month prior. So, really for me it's a safety issues. Plus, I'm almost to the point I can't lift my left leg bc he is on a nerve and I have almost no feeling in my hands & arms 75% of the time.
    anwilliams77

Comment by anwilliams77 (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2010