When To Start Potty Training?

I Know I Have A Lil While B4 We Actually Start Training I Mean She Isnt Even Walking Yet...But I Was Wondering When Should I Start?

Killemo

Asked by Killemo at 1:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't agree with waiting...I neither want to spend that much money on pullups or do that much laundry...and from my observation (we were all potty trained in my house by 2-21/2) and opinion, I think it has less to do with the child and more with the "professionals" have figured out how to make a buck off busy parents feeling bad that they don't have the time and patience that it takes potty train early.

We started sitting our daugher on the potty after naps and meals and before/after bed once she could walk and sit independently. If she went, we made a big deal out of it...if she didn't, she didn't and she got off the potty whenever she wanted to. She's not totally potty trained, but she understands "going" (she makes it most of the time), and that when she goes she has done something to be proud of...which, IMO, is better than waiting another 6-18 months to even start thinking about potty training her.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• the books I've gotten recently because my son is 2 1/2 say not until 2 1/2 or 3. They need to know they have to go before they actually go. They need to go all night without going.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• why not start now? It works.. but only if you have plenty of time and patience for it !!
    I thought this was the nuttiest thing i ever saw.... but thought .. what could it hurt.. and now my little girl is only 8 weeks old.. and is already picking up on the cues.. yay for us..

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/pottytraining/f/infantpt.htm
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 2:07 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• 4xmommy is talking about EC - elimination communication. its a great way to help that bond between parent and child.

children are ready for potty training at different times. i agree that they should be waking up dry, and they should also know when they've gone to the bathroom, and be able to follow basic commands for like, sit on the toilet, etc.
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 2:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• thalassa- how old is your little one? My mom said I was potty trained by 1 1/2- I thought she was BS'n me... but I'm starting to believe her!!
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 9:22 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• You have to give them time, every child takes different steps in order to be ready. Try not to push it to hard on your little one, for instance, my boy was ready until he turned 3.5. I tried before he was 3 but he was afraid of using the toilet, I try different things but he wasn't ready he would get afraid and start crying, so I let him alone and gave him a break. A few months later he got up one morning and said to me, that he needed to go pee, so I took him to the bathroom and that's when he started. So parents are really lucky when their kids potty-trained at an earlier age, but try not to push your little one otherwhise she might not want to do it. Good luck!!
    jcampos

Answer by jcampos at 9:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• "thalassa- how old is your little one? My mom said I was potty trained by 1 1/2- I thought she was BS'n me... but I'm starting to believe her!!"

She's 19 months now...She's does fairly well, but we've been working at it slowly since she was about 10 months. We started with putting her on her potty just to sit--clothes on, and giving her something to do when one of us was in the bathroom, just so she wouldn't be scared of it and progressed from there. The big thing that helps is cloth diaper/training pants, because she knows if/when she goes better--and she's prissy enough she cares.

It takes ALOT more time/effort to potty train at a younger age, but they (usually) are potty trained at an earlier age than if you wait, though all kids are different--for some it works, and some it doesn't...but if you don't try, you won't know if it works for them.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 2:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2008