Anyone ever got an IUD ?

I am planning on getting an IUD. I have researched some info online and talked to my doctor about it. But I want some feedback and opinions from women who actually used it (which I find more useful than research & talking to a doctor). Like has anyone had any side effects ? Thanks.

XdollskinX

Asked by XdollskinX at 10:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have the copper IUD that is supposed to last ten years. I wouldn't recommend it. I've had mine for three years now. When I first got it, the doctor said I may have some irregular periods as my body adjusts to it. I started out with a regular flow about two weeks in length then two or three weeks without one. Now I'm at the point where I'm on my period more often than not, and not by a day or two, but by weeks. There are only about five or six days a month I don't have a flow, rather that's regular, heavy or light but heavier than just spotting.
    I've done research and tried to weight the pros and cons of having it removed. It seems I'm not the only one who has had these kinds of problems with the copper IUD. I'm not sure about Mirena though. All I know is that when we are ready for baby number two, and I get this IUD out, we're going back to birth control and condoms until after menopause.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 10:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I had the Mirena which is supposed to last 5 years. DON'T GET ONE!!!! I had horrid side effects, bloating, looked like I was 4-5 months pregnant, had spotting for NINE MONTHS after I had it put in. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and went to get it removed.... only to find that it had embedded itself on one side. They had to rip it out... most painful fricking thing of my life... I almost slapped the doctor but I was too busy dry heaving to sit up. Horrid experience. I have heard that there is a class action suit brewing over the Mirena because of all the problems, not sure if anything will ever happen with it.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i had mirena for 2 1/2 years. it gave me cysts that were really painful. i had really weird periods the entire time. but i didnt ever get pregnant with it in.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i have a copper iud, it used to occasionally hurt when i had sex or even at random times, and my so said he could feel it all the time. they said it was because the dr that had done it had cut the string too short and it would eventually soften up and not be so stiff and bother me all the time. eventually it did stop and i never really though a lot about it cause i could still feel it inside me ( most people cant not sure why i do). anyway i went to my pap a couple weeks ago, they ended up having to do an ultra sound to find the iud, and im not sure whats gonna happen when they take it out. they said they have tools and will most likely be able to and not have to do surgery but reading mommaofh2 response i am scared :(
    nessamarie

Answer by nessamarie at 2:07 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have Mirena, and at first..it was great. I've only had it since february. But now, it is causing foul-smelling discharge, "spotting" off and on, if you are with someone that is "well-endowed" sex can be very painful...for both involved. I am up in the air about having it removed, but will probaly end up doing so. I haven't gotten pregnant while on it..that's about the only plus, at this point!!
    blueeyedbabyz

Answer by blueeyedbabyz at 9:39 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have Mirena as well. It was kinda uncomfortable getting it put in. You have to be on your period before the doctor will insert it. It's nice not having to worry about taking a pill everyday or changing a patch, etc. But like bluee said, it does cause spotting. I went for almost 5 months without a drop of blood, then before i knew it i was getting pretty bad cramps and starting to spot. and it wasn't just one month here and there, it was more like 2 days here then a week and a half later 1 day... it was just very random. As far as intercourse, I couldn't tell a difference, but my boyfriend thought it was annoying and could constantly feel it....
    lilma0608

Answer by lilma0608 at 1:48 AM on Oct. 18, 2010