My 1 yr old is almost 14 mths old and still fits into

6-9 months clothes. Some fit her perfect and others just fall off her. She weighs only 20lbs. She is also REALLY tall. I know all children are different, but this concerns me. Her doctor said she is fine and there is nothing wrong with her. He says that she will more then likely just be tall and skinny when she gets older. He also said that since she was a preemie she just has some catching up to do. Is this normal. She is 28 in long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would trust your doctor, unless there is something more than just weight that is concerning you. At 15 months my daughter, who was not a preemie, was 18 lbs and 30 inches tall. She fit 6-9 months until she was about 17 or 18 months old. She was my best eater too. Her weight fluctuates some too. I was surprised recently when I weighed her and she was 27 lbs, the last time I had weighed her she was only 24 lbs, then I weighed her again a few days later out of curiousity and she was 25 lbs. (she is almost 3) That's probably why doctors don't weigh them every month at this point, unless they are doing weight checks, and if your doctor is doing weight checks then she or he certainly isn't ignoring your concern. We did weight checks on my daughter for a while but it was pointless, she ate a ton and stayed small and there was nothing else wrong. Some kids are just smaller, and she may have growth spurt and catch up later.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My DD is 15 months old and she weighes 26 lbs 8oz and she is 31 1/4 inches long ... with that said she is rather big for her age. Kids come in all shapes and sizes and if her pediatrician isn't too concerned I wouldn't be either!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My dd is 30 months (2 1/2yrs) and is 22lbs 32" her Dr is not concerned at all she is growing just on a petite side. Genetically I'd be shocked if she was bigger!
    babyblue21

Answer by babyblue21 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My neice is 14 months old and just broke the 18 lb. mark, she also wears 6 month clothes. . My sister and BIL aren't big/tall either. She's growing right in height to weight and is perfectly healthy. She's just a little lady.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 10:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My DD is almost 6 and she still fits into 2T & 3T clothes. She weighs only 27lbs. However she is tall so the 3T long pants are way too short on her. When she was 15 months she finally hit 20lbs, she stayed there until she was almost 3. Some kids are just petite. If she's growing I wouldn't worry about it. And remember that if she's getting taller she might not gain weight because she could be getting skinnier.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• my son was exactly the same 6-9 months until 14 months and then around 15 16 he had a spurt and went to 12 mos lol he is some what catching up now he just got out of 24 mos and is no in 2t and some 3t and he is 3 and a half hes moving up the growing curve so this is his right size he is also tall and skinny
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• OP,

Her weight has jump up and down from 17lbs to 20 lbs. One month she will be 20lbs and the next she will be 17 lbs. It is just crazy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would say that her weight, hieght are on que. She does sound like a small kid, but not in an unhealthy way. If she's maintaining a healthy weight, gaining weight (even if in little incriments) as she gets old then she's fine. If she's eating healthy, has normal bowel movements, and doesn't show any signs of malnutrician you're golden. From my perspective she seems fine and I agree with her doctor. However, if you are truely concerned then express that to him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• 28 inch seems short to me my 7 month old is 26 1/2 in. and that was 2 weeks ago at her check up she also weighs 16.8 lbs. and like you said all kids are diff my oldest is 4 and she can still wear some 24 month clothes ( shorts and shirts )
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 11:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i have 5 kids and 2 of them are tall. i really think that tall kids stay skinny longer . she is fine don t worry i know that is hard to do. my 14 year old wears a double 0
    italian29

Answer by italian29 at 12:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2010