How do you feel about diet soda?

I'm a pretty healthy eater, but I still love diet soda. It's been a process weaning myself off of it, but I get freaked out by the idea of all that foreign stuff in my system so I'm trying.

What's your take? Harmless in moderation, or terrible health hazard to be avoided?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 10:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Health

• Moderation
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I try not to think about it and continue to drink my 4 a day
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think it's okay in moderation, but then again, I've seen reports and accusations about aspartame, the artificial sweetner in a lot of diet drinks. That stuff has me spooked.

On the other hand, I'm not a health nut either so I can't say I've never or will never have a diet soda.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 10:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Moderation. With that said, diet soda does contain a lot of stuff! It has also been found that sometimes people gain more weight from diet soda because some peoples bodies are just not able to process the artificial sweeteners. I cannot drink diet soda, every time it drink or eat something with aspartame (the artificial sweetener in diet sodas) I get a migraine.
    NDNichol

Answer by NDNichol at 10:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think it's horrible. I'm sensitive to the artificial sweeteners so I blow up like a beach ball if I consume any. Not to mention the sodium content is terrible, too. I've read in a few places that diet soda actually makes you gain weight because it doesn't satiate you and you end up eating more.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Thanks for the responses ladies! I've always been of the "in moderation" mindset, but lately I've been wondering if I wouldn't feel better (and maybe have an easier time getting rid of those last 5 pounds!) if I cut it out entirely. It's been just under a week since I drank one, and so far I've just felt cranky and headachey. LOL. But I've been replacing it with more water and unsweetened tea, so I just keep reminding myself that water/tea are always going to be better than aspartame. *Sigh* We'll see...
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Artificial sugar is absolutely horrid for your body. Artifical flavorings, preservatives, chemicals in general are as we all know, but artificial sugar is really bad for you. I wouldn't drink diet Soda for anything.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I have no problems with it. I can't drink regular soda because of the sugar content, and wouldn't want to. I've been drinking diet for nearly 10 years. Regular soda tastes like the dirty bottom of an ashtray to me now. It's my one guilty pleasure, and I'm not going to feel any actual guilt over it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I honestly believe that diet soda is very bad for your body and especially if you are drinking a few cans a day. It contains artificial sweetners which are harmful for your body and has also been associated with being cancer causing. Humans were not meant to consume drinks other than water and occasional fruit juices. I think that soda is so easy to drink mindlessly that it makes it an even worse evil. Definitely wean yourself off though because you are more likely to be successful. I am working on my eating habits and that too is a struggle.
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 12:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Artificial sweeteners give me really bad headaches, so I had to cut them out completely.
    sjjeaster

Answer by sjjeaster at 12:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2010