How to get a 2yo girl to take a nap?

Shes been fighting her naps for a week now, then falls asleep at dinner. Is this normal for nap time eading at 2?

Karmawolf

Asked by Karmawolf at 11:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think my son was about that age when he gave up his naps. I think the best thing to do would be to just offer her a quiet time instead of arguing with her about taking a nap. If she is falling asleep during dinner then you may just need to readjust her schedule so that she is falling asleep after dinner or try and make dinner a little earlier.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My oldest DD did that she stopped napping at about 19 months old but sleeps 12-13 hours every night. My other DD who just turned 2 still takes naps.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 11:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It's hard to get my daughter to go down, she's never been a big sleeper. But at 2, she really does need a nap on the weekends especially. we close all the shades, turn on something boring like golf (which dad likes) and the whole family lays down. She lays on the floor with my husband - on pillows from our bed - and i take the couch. we usually all end of falling asleep, which i don't feel a bit bad about!
    good luck!
    lscobie

Answer by lscobie at 11:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• what time does she normally get up in the morning..an how long does she sleep at night
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 11:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My son stop taking naps around 18 months.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yes. Actually there was just another question like this and lots of people saying how naps ended for them at 2. They ended for my kids by 2, unless they fell asleep in the car or something. I'm still going through that with my daughter, she will be 3 in November and she won't nap, but if we go in the car in the afternoon or evening she will crash. My son used to crash in the strangest places around 2 to 3 years old, like on the stairs. I should have made my kids have some kind of rest time, where they don't have to nap but they do have to be quiet and look at books in their beds, but I never did. I would recommend it though, that way you can have some quiet time, and she might nap.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Sounds like she's done with naps. Offer her a rest time, where she can lay on her bed (or in her crib) and read books, and listen to quiet, soothing music. Bump her bedtime up 30-45 minutes.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• she gets up a 8 so she gets about 12 hours a night.
    Karmawolf

Comment by Karmawolf (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Some children do not need naps after 2 or they tend to nap for less time.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:27 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• my daughter stopped around 2, I was lucky to get 1 nap a month, she is 3 now and barely ever naps, however she still goes into her room for "nap time" for 2 hrs and if she naps she naps if she doesnt its just quiet time.......
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:38 AM on Sep. 28, 2010