Minister ordination...

So I posted a question on here about a friend who wanted me to baptize her. I got a lot of responses saying don't do it because I am not ordained. So that sparked my curiosity. What does it take to get ordained? Well, not much. I can be an ordained minister of Universal Life Church in a matter of minutes... for free. So far the biggest sacrifice I've seen asked by a group to be ordained is simply $150. Send us the money we send you the certification... Does this frighten or alarm anyone else besides me? We are talking about giving people the power to perform marriages, funerals and build a church. Shouldn't there be more to it? A ten minute test at least?

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 2:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• It means different things to different people. Not a battle I would want to wage. Find something you are comfortable with. I don't think everyone would give you the same advice and say, DON'T do it. In this time and place however, there are plenty of ordained ministers to to this. I wanted to be baptized in a lake and my pastor didn't want to set a precedent. You could help the minister with the physical act of "dunking" your friend. She needs to be under the authority of a minister and with a body of believers she can relate to. Help her find a comfortable arrangment to continue her "walk".
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 6:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Different denominations have different requirements. In my denom you have to have graduated from seminary with your Masters degree at least. You also meet with a committee on ministry too.(It's complicated to try to explain in the space allowed here.) This group discusses your call with you. They help you navigate your path to ordination - including helping you to decide if the call is true or not. When you're ready and you have found a church or a related pastoral calling (hospital chaplin, for example) you have an ordination service. It's a big to do.

So, to answer your question, there typically is a lot *more* to it than simply forking over $150 for a certificate for an online ordination. And yes, I find it disturbing such a thing would exist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• There is no biblical specification as to who can baptize.

Really though, baptism and the requirements to baptize depends on the denomination of Christianity one is a member of...and that is a topic for debate even within most denominations. Many organized churches will only allow the minister or pastor or priest to administer the sacraments, but many of them have exceptions--even the Catholic Church has allowances for lay baptism in extreme cases.

If you aren't proscribing to any particular denomination of Christianity, "their" rules shouldn't matter...heck, some "Christians" don't even consider other Christians to be Christian--and some Christian denominations don't even recognize other denomination's baptism because they don't consider them Christian. What is important is what is in your heart and mind--not how well you follow someone else's arbitrary rules.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• "So, to answer your question, there typically is a lot *more* to it than simply forking over $150 for a certificate for an online ordination. And yes, I find it disturbing such a thing would exist."

lol...in theory I agree, but since ordination is generally a requirement to be approved to legally marry someone in juristictions, I actually have an online ordination thru the ULC...so I could perform a handfasting, and have them be legally married, for some friends.

Personally, its no worse that the churches out there whose "pastor" has no theological training other than an oratory tone and an opinion on the Bible...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I'm a minister through ULC, too. And I think if you and your friend are comfortable with you doing the baptism, I say go for it.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• ANY Christian can baptize another... you don't have to be ordained.
    JustAnotherMama

Answer by JustAnotherMama at 5:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2008