how do i get my 6 month old baby to sleep through the night?

my baby is 6 months old he still sleeps only every three hours. this is really tiring i need my full night sleep again. he eats almost 11 ounces of formula before i put him down for the night, but in three hours he wants more food. what am i doing wrong??? please anyone i need some help here.

Gina11062208

Asked by Gina11062208 at 3:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start with a "routine" - not a schedule.
    Keep him awake as much as possible thru the day.. especially in the late afternoon - early evenings.
    Start bed time routine about an hour before you want him asleep.. Warm bath..(i like using the lavendar bath) for about 15 minutes at least. Nice massage with Lavendar Sleepy Lotion.. wrap him up nice and warm.. and rock him off to sleep with his bottle.
    When he wakes up.. does he wake all the way up? If not.. he may just go back to sleep. If he does.. try rocking him back to sleep.
    IMO - 11 oz is a little much for a baby. You may want to be giving him some spoon fed ceral at dinner time to help curb the hunger.
    It takes time.. but he'll get there.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 3:19 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Your baby is old enough to have rice cereal. Put some in his bottle. If you feed him 11oz put 2 spoons in it. Or you can feed him by spoon at night with rice cereal. Some people will swear this works. I believe it does because I noticed a difference. Others are against it. TRY IT before you dis it though. My baby sleeps 6-8 hours. I buy the whole grain rice cereal with banannas. You can get it at Foodland, Wal-Mart or any grocery store probally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• MY SON IS 3 YRS OLD AND HE'S STILL AWAKE ALL NIGHT! EVEN THOUGH HE'LL BE AWAKE ALL DAY WITHOUT ONE SINGLE NAP HE'LL STILL BE AWAKE ALL NIGHT! HES SO FULL OF ENERGY ITS CRAZY!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• The more he stays awake during the day the better he should sleep at night, but if he is waking up every few hours hungry then it's time to start feeding him solids, he is more than old enough.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• def do cereal.. i start my son at 3 months and he drinks 8 ounces of cereal at night and goes to bed for 9-10 and wakes at 7-8am. thank god...lol you might have to try a couple kinds of cereal though. the oatmeal made my son too gasy that he screamed at night so i switched to mixed and hes fine. def. do cereal. it was my life saver..lol
    michellem7781

Answer by michellem7781 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2008