Anyone else done Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University?

My husband and I took the course quite sometime ago. We've been debt free awhile now, and are currently building our down payment for our first home (we're aiming for about $40K to put down) and then I'm going to pay cash for a new car (yay!!). Just wondering how everyone else felt about the course and what step you're on now.

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 12:34 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• We took it in February of this year and I loved it! I'm working on a finance major, but so far I've learned more from Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace course than I have in school. Scary right. But the cool thing is he speaks in plain English so it's easy to understand what things like IRAs, 401Ks, 529s, etc. mean.

We have $3000 to pay off! We should be done with it in 6 months.

There is also a Dave Ramsey Fans group on CM if you want to join:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/3751

For the record though I don't think Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace course (FPU) is necessary to take in order to win with money. It's helpful, motivating, and informative. But you can also just listen to his archives online (free) and check out his book Total Money Makeover from the library (free).
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My husband and I never took FPU but we do follow Dave Ramsey. We have read The Total Money Makeover more than 7 times. The first 6 times I checked it out at the library, then decided I needed to own it. Now we lend it out to friends. We are currently working on steps 4, 5, and 6 at the same time. We are debt free, we paid off more than $30k of debt. Now we are really focusing on step 6, paying off our house. Our children are still young, so we don't feel the push to completely concentrate on saving for college yet. Once we pay off the house we will have all kinds of extra money for college. Our next new to us car will also be a cash car. Of course we don't have any immediate plans to buy one, the paid for cars we have are just fine.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• We never took FPU classes but we do follow Dave Ramsey's method after reading The Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace, both by Ramsey. We've paid off our mortgage, have no bank loans, and are saving money every month. I love this lifestyle!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Nope. I never needed a course, or book to help me with financial choices. Why spend money to save money???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Never had. Both my husband and I are good with money. Our only debt is the house and cars.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010