When he's not around...

My dh travels a lot and when he's gone I fall into some old habits like smoking. It's stupid and I know I can get past it. Any advice or insight?

BluDog

Asked by BluDog at 12:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• Awww, it is so hard when your husband is away. My husband is, too. I think it is all stress!! Maybe you could join a gym, go for walks or hang out with your friends more! Get more active, it may help. I smoke too so I am not THAT helpful :((
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 12:49 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I've been on both sides, non smoker for years. I think stress yes boredom too. It's frustrating because I don't want to take actions I can't live up to or justify.
    BluDog

Comment by BluDog (original poster) at 12:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Same here (on both DH being away & smoking). Join a gym, go window shopping, playdates.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 12:58 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Every time that you want a cigarette, pop a hard candy in your mouth to take your mind off it and keep your mouth busy.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Wash that ciggie down with a nice glass of Merlot. It works beeeautifully.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 8:19 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I do stuff he doesn't like me doing too. When I get the house to myself its like a small window of true freedom that I don't get very often.

Far as the smoking, I'd make sure the house was aired out and things deordorized before he got back.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• What about trying the electric cigarette - I read that it is about the same as a real one but there is no second hand smoke or whatever. I saw that some people actually quit smoking after a few months of going to electric...
    You can do the nicotine replacements to quit smoking (patch, gum, etc)
    Or if you get some lifesavers candies.... It will make me not want to smoke even when I was wanting one but got the candy instead.

Either way, old habits die hard. Good luck!
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You could take up exercising more, maybe running? or...How about crafts? Is there something you'd enjoy doing like that where you would be able to enjoy the end product? (like being in better shape, or a nice quilt etc) Sometimes having something to look forward to is nice.
    Mortiferouslatt

Answer by Mortiferouslatt at 10:59 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Exercise instead of smoke, read a book. Chew gum or hard candy if you need something in your mouth
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 2:17 AM on Sep. 29, 2010