Why are we so obsessed with celebrities in America?

Lindsay Lohan- 24, is all over the news because she's a celebrity drug addict...while Justin Allen- 23, Brett Linley- 29, Matthew Weikert- 29, Justus Bartett- 27, Dave Santos- 21, Chase Stanley- 21, Jesse Reed- 26, Matthew Johnson- 21, Zachary Fisher- 24, Brandon King- 23, Christopher Goeke- 23 and Sheldon Tate- 27 are all Marines that... gave their lives this week, no media mention. Doesn't this seem a little messed up?

Leigh519121

Asked by Leigh519121 at 12:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, that's the life we live... sometimes people like to focus on celebrities so they can take a sort of mental break from life, I think.... Being obsessed with it is bad, but I think it's okay as long as we recognize what else is going on in the world.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 1:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• What is it with the WE, have you got a mouse in your pocket?  I don't care what celebrities do.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:51 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Believe me, it's not just America. That's what's wrong with every developed part of the world. We care about meaningless stuff and pay little attention to things that really matter. Sadly..
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 12:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think many use celebrities as escapism - they want to be like them, live that lifestyle, be rich and famous. The media hypes up every little thing they do, people buy the magazines and watch the shows so of course they are going to keep reporting on them - celebrities make them money. Unfortunately, the American public just isn't as interested in our fallen soldiers. I don't think it's because they don't care, I believe it's because it's a reminder that we are still at war, and the world in general can be a pretty ugly place.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:34 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It's a lot messed up. I am so tired of hearing about Lindsey Lohan I could scream. It's not news anymore, if it ever was.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I was in Asia this time last year and they are OBSESSED with SO MANY materialistic American Things/People... Absolutely insane.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:56 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It's very messed up. Can't people get enough of their own drama??? Because at least on CafeMom, it sure seems like people have drama in spades!!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:48 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I dont think its so much the public as it is the media. I dont care about most of this stuff as I know you dont as well. I opened one of those people magazines recently b/c the cover said one thing about so and so being pregnant,,but the actually story was that she was not pregnant, but they where assuming she wanted to get pregnant. Hate the tabloids, I dont think we really care as a society. I think its the media forcing this crap at us.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Give me a magazine with Lindsay Lohan on it and I'll use it as toilet paper! I don't watch much tv and have never been fanatical about celebrities. I'm more concerned with what's REALLY going on in the world...not some anorexic, skanky drug addict!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't pay attention to celebrities and I know Lindsey Lohan is going to jail. It' is a really sad world when we are all wrapped up in these things that just don't matter.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:30 AM on Sep. 28, 2010