Potty training: how do you get your LO to sit on the potty?

I try asking my son regularly if he wants to sit on the potty, but I'm always met with a "No!" How can I get him to even sit? (He's almost 2 years & 9 months, won't do it for a treat, not even while watching a favorite show.)

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 1:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hmmm.... i was told if they wont sit on it they arent ready to be potty trained, but mine was young when they told me that. maybe try training him standing up?
    nessamarie

Answer by nessamarie at 1:27 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• try just taking him to the potty without asking. I have come to find out if I ask my son if he needs or wants to go potty, he will just tell me NO! and run from me. But if I just take him he will atleast set there whether he does something or not.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 4:25 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I agree just take him every 20 mins to start off with even if he is in the middle of a show or playing. Just let him know that he can finish whatever he was in the middle of after. If he won't sit to go maybe see if he wants to try standing up. If you have them maybe try throwing a few cheerios in there and tell him to aim for those sort of making a game out of it. Good luck to you. Eventually he will get there.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:40 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would stop asking and put the potty out where he can get to it easily. Sometimes the nagging and constant asking about the potty turns them off. Wait and see what he does without your prompting.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Unfortunately, he started to kick and scream if I try to physically sit him down on any of his potty chairs or the toilet (with seat attachment). I'd have to manhandle him to get him to sit on the potty! (And I did that once, could be why he's so anti potty right now.)

Two of his potty chairs are already out where he sees them daily - in the living room and by the kitchen - and one is in the bathroom. *Sometimes* I'll catch him sitting on it, and he even pretends to go potty (he loves to flush), but when asked, he just flatly refuses. I even try to sit with him (either on the toilet or on a potty chair), but he's not interested beyond the occasional pretend play.

I'm wondering if I should just pack away the potties and come back to it in a month or so, or leave everything around and just keep asking?
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would take a break. I'd also start looking at what privileges he really enjoys (i.e. a certain snack food) and make those only for using the potty.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Sounds like he's just not ready yet. Don't force him, it'll just make it even longer before he is ready. Just try every few days or so, if he says no, try again in a few more days and so on...he'll do it when he's ready...ya don't see too many grown-ups that aren't potty trained so he'll be fine :)
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 3:19 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• yeah break and try again
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2010