Can I break my lease???

Alright well today was awafull, I need to know if I can break my lease any ideas... Today I woke up to blood all over my door a deer head and heart on my doorstep and the torso and legs in a garbage bag YUCK, I flipped out called the police call my apartments they said there was nothing they can do cause it happened at night! Can you break a lease for a house not being safe... We live in NICE apartments but we have im almost positive drug dealers living next door the other day someone was beating on my door at 4 am yelling, i told them to calm down they had the wrong door it was my neighborrs they were after HELP

anfisasmommy

Asked by anfisasmommy at 1:21 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• You need to file a formal complaint with the police department, ask for them to do more drive-throughs, etc. Talk to your landlords about breaking your lease, and make sure to document EVERYTHING!!! Take pictures of any damage, write down in a log times of disturbances, etc. GL!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:27 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I did file a formal complaint, I talked to the landlords she says it is not there problem, that i would have to pay the 2000 to break it I am not even staying there now! Thanks though :)
    anfisasmommy

Comment by anfisasmommy (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have broken a lease in the past when the situation was horrible like yours. I recommend giving 30 days notice. Then leave it as clean or cleaner than you found it and move. I guarantee you will not get your security deposit back so if you really need it do not pay your last month of rent. I know it's not the most graceful way of bowing out but your landlord obviously doesn't care to help you so help yourself.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 1:29 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I agree with BluDog. You're just going to have to leave and kiss your security deposit goodbye. It's so hard to get out of a lease. I've tried to before and I seriously think I would've had a better chance being in the Olympics.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• They make it impossible to get out of leases these days, but in your situation, I think you should do whatever it takes. If they truly will not let you out of your lease, start documenting EVERYTHING that happens - your calls to the police, people banging on your door, dead animals on your doorstep, the formal complaint you filed, everything. Then I would find a new place as soon as possible and give your thirty-day notice. You won't get your deposit back and they'll probably try to charge you that lease-breakage fee, but you can fight it if you prove that you did everything in your power to get out of an unhealthy/unsafe situation. GL!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Talk to a local attorney/advocate for fair housing/etc. If you break the lease, not only will you lose your security deposit, you can also be liable for your rent until the end of the lease or when the unit is re-rented. Every community has procedures you can follow to get out of a lease with cause, if you go about it the right way you may even get your deposit back.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You should be able to if you feel unsafe living there. We got out of a lease 6 months early for the same reason. We came home from work one evening (we both worked at the same place, and anytime we worked the same shift, we rode together), and we decided we wanted to go out to eat. We went out to my husband's truck (well, my fiance at the time), and there were at least three bullet holes in it (we had driven our other car to work). We called the police, they came and did their thing, and the next day they were open, we contacted the office. Since I worked late and sometimes didn't get home until 3 in the morning, we felt it was best not to stay there, and they let us out of our lease no questions asked.

Funny thing is, not long after we moved, everyone on our floor was making plans to do the same.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Oh, and we lived in fairly nice apartments. We think it was just some idiot drunk who shot the truck, but I didn't want to come home one night and encounter him in the parking lot and have it turn out it was actually someone with a grudge against me or my husband (fiance at the time).
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:16 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• "Talk to a local attorney/advocate for fair housing/etc. If you break the lease, not only will you lose your security deposit, you can also be liable for your rent until the end of the lease or when the unit is re-rented. Every community has procedures you can follow to get out of a lease with cause, if you go about it the right way you may even get your deposit back"

This, and if you do not get out of the lease properly they can also put it on your credit report, this could potentially cause problems for a long time. Try to keep as friendly as possible with them, it will not help you if you get angry with the property managers, they can make things even harder on you.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• thanks everyone yea im already not staying there my husband gets back soon and he is going to deal with it! Thank you ladies very much!
    anfisasmommy

Comment by anfisasmommy (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Sep. 28, 2010