What's the difference between a DUI and a DWI?

My nubby and his friends discussed it briefly and havent come up with a conclusion. One theory is its the same thing, just called differently in other states, my theory is DUI involves alcohol, and DWI is other drugs (marijuana, amphetamines, rx drugs, etc) can someone enlighten us please?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Actually, DUI is a "lesser offense" than DWI. If you are DUI, you are driving under the influence, even if you are not considered "drunk". While DWI means you are intoxicated, and usually has a higher penalty.

Look at it sort of like this - it's the drinking / drugging and driving version of speeding If you are going 10 miles over the limit, you're speeding, and you get a ticket. If you're going 20 over the limit, you're still speeding, but they consider it reckless, and the ticket is higher.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Both DUI and DWI are terms that refer to operating a motor vehicle while impaired by illegal drugs or alcohol. The biggest difference between the two is only in what the letters stand for. DWI is an acronym for driving while intoxicated or impaired and DUI stands for driving under the influence. Throughout the United States, the laws vary regarding how a DUI or DWI is dealt with.
    MichelleWMama2B

Answer by MichelleWMama2B at 4:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I knew the acronyms but is there a big difference other than the words? Sorry =P
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• No, no difference at all. Just different ways to explain it, but the same thing :)
    MichelleWMama2B

Answer by MichelleWMama2B at 4:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Here's a good site that explains it :-)

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-there-a-difference-between-a-dui-and-a-dwi.htm
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• It actually depends on your state. i just looked it up on a law website.

many states it is the same thing.
    MichelleWMama2B

Answer by MichelleWMama2B at 5:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I am almost positive it is the same thing but they just call it different things in different states. For example,my parents are from North Dakota so they call it a DWI, and they moved to Maine, and my brother actually got a DUI but they kept calling it a DWI and my brother had no idea what they were talking about (haha).and when they said that he got really confused and said "no I got a DUI" and my mom had to explain to him that it was the same thing they just call it different things in different states.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• It actually varies from state to state. In some states, it means exactly the same thing. In others, a DUI is a lesser offense, having involved a lesser degree of intoxication. So, because our laws throughout the country are convoluted and confusing, it depends on where you are when it happens! :)

One more thing to note: Another answer mentioned illegal drugs/alcohol...in the eyes of the law it does not matter if it was illegal drugs (marijuana, cocaine, etc) or legal, prescribed drugs. If you are impaired, you will get cited, regardless of the source of your impairment.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 9:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• DUI driving under the influence DWI driving while intoxicated
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2008