would you spank an 18 month old

if you tell your 18 month old to do or not do something and he laughs at you, would you spank him

nessamarie

Asked by nessamarie at 1:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No. I did it with my first when she was about that age, and I felt terrible. I realized that no matter how much it seems like they're being disrespectful or ornery at that age, they really don't understand what's going on. All it did was instill fear in her and make her confused. I found it works best to get down on their level and explain things in a slow, calm voice. If they're still not going to listen, I will get stern and steer them toward/away from the issue.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:04 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Absolutely not! Spanking does not work and it is proven. He is still a baby. Remove the child from the problem and put him in time out for as long as his age. So for him I would do two minutes. If he keeps doing it then you keep repeating this until he gets it. Persistence is key to discipline. It takes just once to let up and he knows how to push your buttons. This is how I did/do things and it worked for me.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 2:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I try not to spank if I can get away with it. But, if the baby is doing something that could be dangerous to their self or someone else(playing with plug-in, biting) I think that a swat on the leg or a pop on the hand will get their attention a little quicker and hold it a little longer than just trying to yell to get their attention! My Brooklyhn loved to laugh at me when she was a baby/toddler when I would try to get on to her but just verbally correcting and showing her, then I realized she didn't take it as instruction she thought we were playing, but she is a Diva Princess, my boys were easy! I still didn't spank unless an occasion as stated above, but man was she a challenge but she is a good kid!
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 2:08 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I try not to spank, and most kids don't understand discpline until around 2...but if nothing else is working and they do understand discipline at 18 months...then yes I would
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• At this age they dont really know whats going on.
    hmomr

Answer by hmomr at 2:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• There is nothing that a 18 month old child could do to deserve such a reaction from a parent. They're concept for right and wrong hasn't been developed. ppl think because they respond to the word "NO" They understand what its all about. They don't. What they are responding to is your expressions, voice, and emotions. It scares them when you raise your voice. They don't want to hear that reaction again. so they don't do it for awhile. But with their undeveloped minds and memories, they don't remember and they're right back into the things you told them not to do. They see you do stuff and think its ok because you did it. They are mirroring you. If you are gentle, soft, and loving you will see better results and less stress for both of you. Save the discipline when they are five or six to ten. We didn't have to yell to get our point across. We set examples and walked with them through it.
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 2:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• no,i spanked my 9 months old a few days back,but I really fely miserable after that.I would never ever repeat it
    A11

Answer by A11 at 3:41 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Not for that, but yeah I just spanked mine tonight for biting his sister of coarse that was more to get him to let go.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:04 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• No, absolutely not!!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:05 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would but not a full on spanking. You cant reason with a child at that age. They really only get cause and effect so they know if they repeat that behavior what will happen.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 9:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2010