My ex-husband is making my kids join the airforce!

The Father of my children is giving my kids misguided information about the military, I have 4 girls and 2 boys ranging from 17 to 8. My kids don't see there father that often but when they do they take his words to heart. We always argue about this topic when he comes over. He beleives we can't afford college for them and doesn't have faith they will succeed on there own. I don't mind them joining the arm forces but for there own personal reasons not cause there father wants them too...

He tells them that..
you'll get a free ride through college...
you will always have a job
you won't get hurt or killed in the airforce because the marines and army do all the fighting.
they don't send women to fight in wars so your never in danger
list goes on saying the airforces is the safest of the four branches

What do you think and what should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• they can't join unless they sign the papers themselves. My family filled my head with nonsense about why I shouldn't join, and I still did. If your children are as smart as you think they are, they will do the research themselves and find out where he is lying and if the choice to join is a good/bad one for them.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:07 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You need to go find you a military guy or girl (not a recruiter) to inform them of how it really is. Yes, you get the GI Bill to help with your schooling if you decide to go later. I wouldn't completely say the always having a job isn't true because my dh and I joke around about that.. saying he signed his life away and all our jokes we have with our friends. His assumption about the air force not being a part of the war is just dumb tho. Also, just because your a woman doesn't single you out from doing the stuff you were trained for. If we didn't have to go to war and got a free ride.. there would be a LOT more woman in the military.. JS. I won't even touch on the whole hurting/killing of marines bc thats personal since hubby is about to do another tour....

Honestly, I think the dude is trying to live thru his kids. Go find some military men and women to explain to them how life in the military really is.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 2:28 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I agree w/having a military person come talk to them about the 'real deal', and just what's involved.

Nothing like getting it from the source.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 3:17 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• okay he is ight on alot of this!
    We are army, and the fact is, you do get free college, you get to work for your contry, you always have a pay check, the airforce has only lost people that were being dumb, look up the statistics! Women donot go into battle~! They cannot be infantry, And have to stay on FABS, if they go out it is in an armoured car...the army and marines are the main fighting force, and THE AIRFORCE IS THESAFEST OF ALL 4 BRANCHES! The army and marines have lost 50 times the lives that the airforce has! Did you know airforce deplys for 3-6 mothes...army 12-18! Look he is not lying! Those are the facts, and if your kids coose to join the service, I commend them! It takes a special hart to fight for people you dont know!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• PS thats why we call it the chairforce :)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• the fact is that he is givng a summary of facts! My family had alwasy loved the miltiary, so I agree with him, !
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:40 AM on Sep. 28, 2010