Have you read the whole bible?

I want to read the entire bible but I will have to break it up into reasonable sections seeing as I have two little ones to take care of. I was wondering if anyone has read the entire bible... if so, how did you go about it and any tips?

Please only serious answers. Thanks

ajc88

Asked by ajc88 at 2:44 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I started in February, (my daughter was born may 2009) so I only read at night, when she’s laying down for bed. I don’t have a set amount. Sometimes I read a paragraph, usually two pages, and sometimes more. I have read every night (except 1, when I had surgery). And I am currently at Ezekiel Chapter 42. I started with a king James version, and half way through switched to the student bible. I strongly encourage reading the student bible. This is amazing. It has footnotes, things to think about, and tons of help. As soon as I finish I plan on re-reading it.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 3:44 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes, I read it cover to cover when I was 10 years old. Revelations gave me nightmares that lasted for a week. I also ended up driving my pastor crazy with my theological debates for the next 2 years. He said I argued Christian doctrine on a level that he had not experienced since his days in the seminary.

In retrospect, that's when I began to have my doubts about Christianity and started to pull away from the church.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I read it once a while ago before I had kids so I don't think I can help with the timing issue, but I really feel like I need to read it again so I guess I'm in the same boat. I think one of the best books of the Bible is Psalms. I recommend reading that first then maybe Proverbs or the NT especially what Jesus taught. But I personally believe that much of the OT is also very important at least for study especially the laws and sins.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:56 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• yes, I've read the whole thing. that's why I know that it contradicts itself so bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yup, read it cover to cover.. took me 6 months.. I read a few chapters every night before bed. But, I am anal and had to read it from beginning to end.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• hell, no.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:46 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes, but I can tell it was a struggle through all the begats ....
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• AWWWW people don't like it when you find their book appalling. Thanks for the down votes ladies. At least I read it. Sorry if my opinion about it hurts your feelings, but I'm not going to change my mind about my opinion. You got some good advice here OP. Take it slow break it into parts and start whereever you feel compelled to start. My only advice is to NOT read the begats part at night unless you have trouble sleeping. LOL I'm sorry, but I did snooze in the middle of that section.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• by age 18 I had read the entire bible. but of course one go through is not going to ever be enough
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 2:49 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes,I would read the New Testament first because it's more interesting and meaningful.Save the Old Testament for a rainy day or when you have more time.Some people would say the Old Testament is just as important but I don't like it,it's too deep with too many stories that are complicated but that's just me and my oppinion.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 3:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2010