When am I ovulating if my cycle is 40-42 days long?

I'm 20 yrs old and in great health. I eat right and walk at least once everyday. My husband and I just started trying for a baby and I will say I'm already frustrated. I've read that one of the most important things is to know your cycle, so I started counting. I went back three cycles and found my cycle length to be anywhere from 40-42 days long. So, before I spend a ton of money at doctor offices....anyone out there dealing with something similar? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks :)

love2shop_10

Asked by love2shop_10 at 2:44 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• That is a really long cycle. If you want to save a little money in the beginning you could see how much those ovulation predictor kits run at the local store. I know that first response makes one that you test everyday and it tells you what days are fertile days. Keep charting when you have your periods and counting your cycle length because I read on a site once that a cycle that long was too long for ovulation to be occuring properly. Of course the predictor kit might be able to tell you that as well.

Best Wishes,
    Amanda
    Amanda3983

Answer by Amanda3983 at 3:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Thank you. My cycles started getting longer and shorter about 2 years ago. I've been writing everything down for the last 3 months and thats kinda how I narrowed it down to these numbers. I will look into the predictor kit, I have heard that they work. Thanks again! :)
    love2shop_10

Comment by love2shop_10 (original poster) at 3:25 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You might have PCOS, I know that messes with cycles. I have PCOS and my cycles are about 47-50 days. You can go to babycreation.com and get a bunch of ovulation and pregnancy tests for really cheap. It helps keep the cost down! Good luck!
    Brandi2206

Answer by Brandi2206 at 7:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think you ovulate 14 days before you get AF so if your cycles are 40 - 42 you may be ovulating around 26 -28. Good luck
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 11:37 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Day 20-24 or half way through your cycle approximately.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Thank you everyone for your answers :) we will try and see if it works.
    love2shop_10

Comment by love2shop_10 (original poster) at 4:07 AM on Sep. 30, 2010