My lil guy (21 months) is coughing non stop :(

Every night for the past 2 weeks now he wakes up at 2 and coughs and coughs until i give him OTC cough syrup. He is on zyrtec for his allergies and he gets his daily dose of it around 6 pm. I know most of the cough is from drainage but what else can I do to help my poor lil guy at night. He is elvated, has a cool mist humidifer going, I put vicks on him use the bulb suction on his nose, plus have him blowing his nose and I use nose spray too and of course the medicine. I just don't know what else to do to help him :(

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 4:21 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you talked to his doctor about giving him a breathing treatment at night. I started my son on one at around 2 for his allergies
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Try decaff tea like chamomile and add ice to cool it. or go to this website to check out these others:

http://loveandtea.com/collections/tea-blends-for-children/
    jazzyjae

Answer by jazzyjae at 8:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• also..is it his regular pediatrician giving him drugs or do you take him to an allergy doctor? i highly reccomend taking your child to an allergy doc. I wish i wouldve gotten my son to one sooner. I love my son's allergy doctor. Its seems like since we've been going to see her we've hardly had any problems...and usually if he does start getting and cough or anything..she knows exactly what to give. His pediatrician just kinda took a guess. They know nothing about allergies.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:27 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• awe..poor thing! my dd had a cough when she was around that age too, and the pedi. told me that at this age it's ok to give the 1 teaspoon of benadryl...it worked wonders.....truely and honestly...it stopped her cough completely at night, which was great bc not only was it keeping her up at night, it was keeping me up worrying about her. we tried everything too...vicks rub didn't help...but also what helped was a vicks vaporizer type thing (it was a small thing, that you put a little pad that was soaked in vick's in and it works all night, and is strong. we used it during the winter months when kenzie got stopped up with colds. good luck.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:33 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I used to cough a lot at night as a child and now as an adult as well. It's my allergies, although my mom always gave me cough medicine. It's best to get your child to a doctor and mention allergies to them. Put a clean towel on his/her pillow at night. Could be something on the pillow case that is making the matter worse. Also make sure your home is not too hot at night, that triggers coughing in me as well.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 9:49 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• The only new idea I have is to look at changing the air filters in your house. I know it's helped me before.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• do you have a humidifier?
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:06 AM on Oct. 1, 2010