Holiday Student Exchange

for the winter break my daughter found a really nice family on www.best-student-exchange.com and while our daughter will go there, their daughter will come and stay with us.
Did you ever have an exchange student in your house? It is only for 3 weeks, but
we are a bit scared, also because it is over Christmas. Any experience? Any advise?

Vivian91

Asked by Vivian91 at 4:31 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Bump
    tigger08

Answer by tigger08 at 4:51 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have never gone anywhere but we have hosted students from Japan for three years. It is AMAZING! Sooo much fun. The cultural differences are high in some areas, but everything can be communicated with a pencil and notebook full of paper. The things we couldn’t find words for, we talked about through stick figures.. The worst part was our first student. She went number 2 in our bathroom, and the toilet flooded... poor thing was in the bathroom for two hours before she would let someone help. she felt horrible and was crying.

That was over five years ago, we still communicate through emails off and on. They will enter your home as a guest and leave as family.

It is an amazing experience, I would suggest it to anyone
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 5:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Also, be prepared to shop! Thats all they wanted to do. They said "shop til you drop?" over and over... I thought it was a joke.. no. Literally, we shopped 16 hours straight one day. And due to the time difference, they were ready to go at 4 a.m.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 5:04 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• During my high school years when I was in Chorus we did an exchange concert every year. We stayed with a family of a chorus student from where we would be doing the concert, and we were expected to take one of those kids into our home when they came to our town to do an exchange concert with us. We had a LOT of fun, but everything was arranged through the choral instructors and schools. The parents of the chorus students were not obligated to take in an exchange student, which we didn't because I was in a foster family and they couldn't, by law. Staying with my host families were so much fun! We got to experience their family life and we practiced our singing a lot. Of course our stay was only 4 or 5 days long during Christmas or Easter break so no school was missed.
    I don't know if I could take in a child from a program I wasn't closely connected with, but that's just me.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• our school before did it..it was fun for the teens...dont worry your teen will enjoy it...
    neng999

Answer by neng999 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have never done this, I think it would make me uncomfortable. Good luck with the experience, mama!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:27 AM on Sep. 29, 2010