Um I have a couple of ?'s about my 9 week old puppy

Well 1st off um he's male and I have a 1 yr.old son which we got him for. And I saw him chasing him like pups play with other pups. Later I noticed he was running in back of my son and it looked like he was humping him. He is smaller than my son so I wasn't expecting this did I see wrong or is he old enough to do that? And whats the right age to train a puppy to use the bathroom outside? He did the do twice under 2 minutes and they were pretty big for his size. If anyone has any suggests on how to train a pup please tell me.

Mrs.Cruz

Asked by Mrs.Cruz at 6:02 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Pets

• You should have read a few books on training dogs before you got him. Males will do that to anythign they can--including kids:-) Start house training the day your bring a pup home! Try to find a good book or website because there are several things you should be doing with a pup in order to make him into a well mannered dog.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My co worker just told me something about how to get the puppy to stop doing the unwanted behavior. Take a coke can, or an soda can, put pennies in it, just a few, tape it up and shake it whenever the puppy is doing the unwanted behavior. And yes the puppy was probably humping the baby. Shake the can when he starts to do this or smack his but. My pit is 4 months and I saw him doing it to my son yesterday. I smacked his but. It is never to early to train a puppy to use the bathroom outside.
    crv1983

Answer by crv1983 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• the "humping" is not necessarily a sexual thing thing. Dogs of all ages, breeds, fixed or not can and will do this as a display of dominance.. Don't freak about it. Just tell him no sternly and grasp both front paws and place them on the floor.
    You have to start potty training immediately. Try crate training them...they will not potty where they sleep. Let them out VERY often esp after they have slept, eaten or had any water.
    NEVER hit your dog
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I hope all is going well with the puppy. Housebreaking is very important and remember to REWARD pottying outside - verbal praise is more important than food praise.
    Unwanted behavior needs to be told "No" and distract him to something else.
    I would definitely recommend that you get him neutered ASAP when the testicles are down, this will help to curb the excess testosterone as he gets older. With a young child, you want him to mellow out a little too and neutering will help. Mounting is a form of taking over as the alpha and puppy needs to learn that he is FAR from being the alpha at the house; teach your son to tell the dog "no" too!
    qvmmommy

Answer by qvmmommy at 1:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Thanks everyone for ur advice and for the 1st answer did I offend you in some way why did you feel you have to not be known? And I did research hun' like badrap.org and other kennel and breed sites. But there animals and he's a baby and just like a baby you can read and babysit but its not the same thing as having your own baby. Oh and the animal control gave me a training cd for him but I just wanted some advice from ppl have gone through this or are familiar.
    Mrs.Cruz

Answer by Mrs.Cruz at 5:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i looked to this website Alot when i first got my puppy..
    http://www.dogtrainingbasics.com/articles.htm

you went to badrap.org..he's a pit puppy?? i have a 12 week old female pit pup..shes a pain in the ass with potty training..thats the only pain.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• yeah he's a pit mix
    Mrs.Cruz

Answer by Mrs.Cruz at 2:35 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My two dogs are almost 2 and a BIG pain in the ass! But I love them. We ended up having to hire a dog trainer. The younger they are when you do it, the better. They are still not on their best behavior, but it's soooo much better. By the way, we had some friends visit over the summer and they had two really small dogs and one humped my son's leg! I felt so bad because I was laughing so hard! He just gave the dog a look like, "WTF?" He is turning one next week!
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 11:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• At 9 weeks you can have your puppy well on his way to being housebroken. If you can take him out when he wakes up, half an hour after he eats/drinks, before bedtime, after playtime and every 2 hours - you can immediately do outside training. If you can't, then you need to have potty pads in a designated area of the house for him to use (until you have the time to take him out a lot more).
    Dogs will "hump" when they are showing dominance. However, puppies do it mainly because they are growing and have different levels of hormone activity going on. They get excited, so they hump. It's not bad, just don't let him get into the habit of doing it. Redirect his attention with a toy or treat and tell him "good boy".
    Message if you have any other ??'s
    Looking2Adopt1

Answer by Looking2Adopt1 at 10:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2008