What is Halloween

I live in India & know nothing about it.But reading a lot about it on CM,seems interesting.

A11

Asked by A11 at 5:32 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Holidays

• nowadays, its just a day where kids dress up in costumes and get to go get candy from their neighbors.... or in the case of anderson, SC, no one here goes house to house anymore. we go to our church for "trunk-or-treating"... where the people of the church decorate the boot or their car (scary, cute, etc) and the kids walk around from boot to boot an get candy from them.

this is also the season where the haunted houses open up for the season.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 5:39 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Religious holiday for me. Otherwise known as Samhain. Look up Samhain to find out what it is.

I think its a shame door to door TOT is being pushed out. I understand the reasoning. But if more parents actually walked with their kids there wouldn't be a problem.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:51 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It is many different things, to many different people. Google it to get all of your answers.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 7:34 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• A Brief History of Halloween in America

"I think its a shame door to door TOT is being pushed out. I understand the reasoning. But if more parents actually walked with their kids there wouldn't be a problem. "

Agreed. That, and people should observe the "porch light" rule. If your light is on, I assume you have candy, and I will bring my child to your door to beg for goodies.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:05 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I love Halloween.. Its all about getting the kiddos dressed up in costumes and going door to door saying "Trick or Treat" to get candy.. Adults can dress up as well.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 8:58 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Its kids dressing up in costumes and going door-to-door saying "trick-or-treat" and getting candy. It's fun to see what the kids are wearing. My 6 yr old is going to be a vampire. Adults go to Halloween parties dressed up also.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 10:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• There are many many ideas about Halloween online. One, an Irish Catholic story about how we came to carve Jack O' Lanterns out of pumpkins. Something to do with a lazy Irishman named Jack and deals he made with the Devil about borrowing more time to live. There are some very interesting ideas behind the origins of All Hallows Eve...or Halloween.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• The Eve before all Saints Day.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 7:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2010