Ring Around the Rosy...The Plague...

Ring around the Rosy: One of the first visible signs of infection were red rings surrounding a rosy bump, all over the victim's body.
Pocket full of Posy: another sign of infection was the foul stench that would begin to emanate from the victim's body as their lymph system began filling with blood. they would mask their stench by carrying flowers in their pocket.
Ashes Ashes: "Ashes" is a child's approximation of a paroxysm of sneezing. In this weakened state a victim could and often did sneeze their lungs out.
We all Fall Down: By now this one should need little explanation...

Did you know you were singing about that when you were a little girl? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Just for Fun

• No, but I always wondered what the heck it meant. LOL Thanks for the info.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 6:35 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I knew it was something like that but not the actual details. That's pretty creepy. I still love the song though. :)
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 6:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I had heard it, except that what I had heard was that the ashes ashes part referred to them burning the bodies of the dead. Makes you think twice about singing it with your kids, doesn't it? lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:00 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Sorry. Not true. This is an urban myth. http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I heard it differently . Posey "kept germs away" and ashes because of burning bodies ...but I'm going to check out snopes.
    jamiinvegas

Answer by jamiinvegas at 9:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• because of the plagues and thing the morpbid stuff is probaly all they could do to survivee yuk hope those songs never have to come back as a instruction manuel for life gross
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I did not know when I was little but I did find out as an adult. God Bless You after a sneeze was a good luck wish that you did not get the plauge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• When I was a kid I had no idea, but I found out when I was older. I was just thinking about this the other day...what a coinsidence. lol
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 6:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2008