Is it smart to have another baby?

We are doing OKAY financially. We have the money to pay the bills, buy our kids their needs, and occasionally splurge a bit. BUT.... We're afraid if we add another baby to the mix we will be flat broke. Living pay check to pay check and not being about to pay bills on time. That worries me alot. On the other hand, why should you have to be wealthy or well off to have the priveledge to be a mother? Back in the old days, poor women had huge, wonderful families that grew into great men and women... Any feedback?

Ihavehope9

Asked by Ihavehope9 at 7:31 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Well I must tell you I was living paycheck to paycheck before I had my dd in Jan...my bills are paid and there is not always very much left over other than for the basic necessitites..but I will tell you I intend on trying again next summer..it took me 5yrs to conceive my daughter,.,,my husband has always told me if you wait until you can afford children you will never have any....good luck momma and have a baby if thats what your heart desires!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 7:39 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think you have to do what's right for your family. As long as you know you will be able to provide basic needs such as food, shelter, clothing, ect. and think that you will be making more money in the future.... it depends on which one means more to you. Which one would you rather have another baby, or extra money? If it were me I would pick another baby too.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• That's a hard question, and I can see valid points for both sides. It really comes down to what you are willing to sacrifice (for your entire family) by having another child, and if the addition of another child is worth those sacrifices.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:49 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• The way the economy is now, there is no right time to have a baby. The choice is urs. I wasn't finanically ready when I had my first and I'm still not and my third child is 7 months.
    redrose36

Answer by redrose36 at 7:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• We didn't go any further than 2 children because we couldn't afford it. We did not want to risk exactly what you are talking about. That being said, it is a personal decision between you and your husband.

My parents came from a big family as you mentioned. One had 13 children, one had 12. Yes, they grew into great men and women but they also had to go to work right out of high school, AND several of them dropped out of school, to help the family financially. They didn't have the chance to go on to college if they wanted. It simply was not an option. The family was strapped financially for years and years. We have the option not to live that way. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Well.... As of right now we're living off of one income, if I have another child we'll be living off of one income because i'll have to stay home longer. But once the children get into elementary school i'll be able to go back to work full time and then we'll be fine financially. So I know, in the future, we'll be okay. Not to mention, but the time the kids get into school my husband SHOULD DEFINITELY have gotten a promotion or at least a large raise. So we don't expect to struggle forever. We don't expect to be wealthy or anything, but I think we'll be average. I just don't want to deny my children things. It hurts me to see other kids running around with book bags with their initials and names monogramed into them and special things like that that I cannot afford to give my children.... then again.... Being a good parent isn't about providing materialisticly, it's about the love... So, big decision to make....
    Ihavehope9

Comment by Ihavehope9 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Good Luck!!!!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My Dad always told me there is no such thing as a perfect time for a baby,there will always be one more thing that could be better. So go for it.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 4:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010