What would you do?

My 12 yo dd went way... over her txting limit (this was our 1st bill). We have a choice of restricting her txting or making her pay for a higher limit and putting parental restrictions on her phone to make sure she doesn't do this again. We chose those but wonder if we did right?? We also made her pay back the xtra amount on the bill.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well it sounds like you pretty much done the right thing making her pay everything back and makin her pay for increased limit on texting...but my question is Why do you allow a 12yr old to have a cell phone..my sd is 13 and I still cannot see her need for one...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes u did the right thing. It sounds like she isn't responsible enough to have a cell phone
    redrose36

Answer by redrose36 at 7:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think that if you give your dd an allowance, making her pay for it would be a great first lesson in the value of money. Just my opinion, but if you just limited the texting it wouldn't teach her anything about how to limit yourself financially, which is a very important aspect of getting older. Of course she is pretty young to have to worry about finances, but I would take her mistake as an opportunity to teach her something ;0) GL!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Hell yeah you did the right thing. She needs to learn about financial limits (even if there is a little wiggle room). She'll thank you one day when she had the sense to not max out her credit cards and the debt collectors aren't beating her door down.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 8:30 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes. I think it will have been a good learning experience for her.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• sounds to me you do everything right!
    kids_r_gr8

Answer by kids_r_gr8 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 28, 2010