Would you rather induce at 39 weeks, or go to 42 weeks with a 10 lb baby?

If you would chose to wait would it upset you if you waited it out and ended up being induced anyway, or would you be pleased that at least you waited as long as you could? And of course in real life there are more options, like waiting to 40 weeks, or 41 weeks etc. But of these options which would you choose?

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 7:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in

• I was induced at 38 weeks with a 10 lb baby.... I can't even think about if I'd gone any longer!!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 7:59 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• And what if the baby was likely to be smaller, would that make a difference. Would you feel better about waiting to 42 weeks if the baby was only going to be 7 lbs?
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i would wait as long as i could. my doctor made me finish out 41 wks..and then planned on inducing me the beginning of 42 wks but my water broke the night before
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would rather wait it out to see if I could go into labor naturally because if your body isn't ready yet, you increase your risk of a c-section. I had a 9.6 lb baby..... having a large baby isn't all that bad as long as they're healthy :)
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• induce
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• "And what if the baby was likely to be smaller, would that make a difference. Would you feel better about waiting to 42 weeks if the baby was only going to be 7 lbs?"

I would have waited until the baby was ready if there wasn't any health issues... but I did not have that luxury.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:07 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Be induced at 39 weeks.

I went to almost 41 weeks and my child has Aspergers.

Which he has mostly grown out of.

But I wouldn't chance it again.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:08 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Can't induce after a c-section, either all natural or another c-section. I would wait and see. Too dangerous to do anything else. If I made it to 42 weeks I would go directly to the OR. But I would expect to go around 41 wk and 2-3 days. Besides if they told me the baby was 10 lbs. I wouldn't believe them. Those things are wrong all the time. They were way off with my first, never bothered with late U/S with the other two. And all mine were in the 7lbs. 1 oz. to 7 lbs 7 oz range. I wouldn't let anybody scare me into an induction now that I know what I know. I made decisions based on science not based on fear.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I will have any baby when I go into labor. I will not induce unless our lives depended on it. I will not just induce because my baby "might" be bigger. AND...pregnancy is NOT overdue at 42 weeks. Not to mention, baby doesn't get an eviction notice if you go passed 40 or even 42 weeks. There is TOO much development and brain growth happening until birth that I would never risk an iatrogenic prematurity just because the doctor is induction happy.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/prematurity/index_women_48590.asp

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I was induced after a c-section..............
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:18 AM on Sep. 28, 2010