when is iy ok to add cereal and how much-3 mnth old

baby is 3 mnths but eats nonstop--bottle

uptown378

Asked by uptown378 at 7:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do not give your child any solids (including cereal) until he is 6 months old! That is what the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the US Department of Health and Human Services and many other respected health organization ALL say! Your baby's digestive track is not mature enough to handle cereal yet. Please read this article.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I started giving my son cereal in his bottle about 2 or 3 month also. When I first started giving it to him I would use about a teaspoon or a little more than a teaspoon of cereal. I would use the rice cereal at first though because thats a little easier on their tummies. Good luck momma :-)
    Cadens_Mommy118

Answer by Cadens_Mommy118 at 7:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• When my son was a baby I started putting cereal in his bottle when he was about a month old!! He was born hungry!! lol.. The drs didn't like it, but I had to feed my baby and his formula just wasn't getting it.. He's 19yrs old now.. Didn't hurt him a bit.. He still eats ALOT!!! lol.. :D
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 8:33 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I started my kids when they were younger then yours and I started out by giving them a couple tspns of rice cereal. Try feeding with a spoon first and see if your baby likes it, some do some don't and if the spoon doesn't work then put it in the bottle.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:34 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• A baby's stomach is still developing and doesn't produce the proper enzimes needed to breakdown cereal until about 6 months. So you should really wait until 6 months. 4 at the earliest. I would ask your pedi and see what they say. But personally, there is no need to give your lo cereal until 6 months.
    HallesFabMom

Answer by HallesFabMom at 9:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• MY twins had reflux ,so the Dr.'s at Childrens Hospital in Pittsburgh told us to use 1 tble. of cereal w/ every 2 oz. of breast milk or formula. My girls are almost 10 months old and still drink all of their bottles w/ cereal in them.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i agree with what hallesfabmom said.
    also it's important that when you do introduce cereal or any solids for that matter, that you do so with a spoon. not in a bottle.
    not only is cereal in a bottle a choking hazard but recent studies have found that it teaches poor eating habits but allow babies tummy to become full without the act of eating.

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&ref=561
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2008