How do I fix this?

Breastfeeding my 3 month old during the daytime is the highlight of my day, a real joy. But once the evening comes, say 5pm, it's awful. It seems she just can't get full and I'm literary nursing her for hours. Not a good look when I'm trying to finish housework and made dinner. So I give up, sort to speak, and give her a bottle. But it's after hours of trying to breastfeed, usually after the older kids go to bed. I feel bad, but I swear it's the only thing that works. And she usually goes to sleep right afterwards and sleep throughout the night. Then by morning, I'm full again and we have a wonderful day of sastifying feedings. That is until 5pm and the cycle starts again. I know from experience giving 1 bottle a day leads to 2 and so on and next thing you know yor're not nursing anymore period so I want to prevent that. But what do I do when she sucks and absolutely nothing comes out? Do I need suppliments?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 8:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We are naturally lower on supply during the evening, baby get more of the foremilk in the morning/afternoon and because your supply is lower they fill up on hindmilk at night which can help them to stay full and sleep longer (I know, doesn't always work!). The caveat is that they will cluster feed in the evening.

Combine this with a growth spurt (which this sounds like) and you've got a few hrd evenings on your hands! I remember thinking longingly of the expressed milk I had in the freezer... and even trying to give it to him one time! But all it really does is work against what baby is trying to do, which is increase your supply.

Do you have a sling or wrap? How old is baby?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have had to give my son a bottle when I didn't have enough milk. He still likes to breastfeed way more, so it didn't lead to more bottles. Don't feel bad. You have have to do what's right for the baby. I agree with making sure you are getting enough fluids. Good luck!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 9:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Well, maybe towards the end of the day youa dehydrated? try drinking extra fluid. I do not see any shame in giving your child bottles from 5:00 pm on. It's your choice to breastfeed or bottle feed. If you truly enjoy the breastfeeding during the day, you wont give it up. I would honesty just give her the evening bottles with no guilt, because it will be easiest on you and your baby!
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 8:18 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I agree maybe your not producing enough in the evening like in the mornings
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:30 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I agree with these posters but you might want to ask in the breastfeeding group here for more help. Best wishes!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:47 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• NM the second ?... 3 months. Perfect time for a growth spurt. I would get a wrap or sling and let her nurse. It won't last forever.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Pop her in a sling, let her go to town and don't worry about the housework. Try to keep dinner simple for now. Keep up your fluids; that's vital.

She's quite normal/

Answer by gdiamante at 2:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2010