Steriod Shots????

When I was 19 wks along i started going into premature labor. Well at 24 wks my doc gave me two steroid shots within in 24 hrs. I'm 32 wks now and tried to go into labor 2 wks ago. So my question is what did those steroid shots do to my babys lungs? Are they advanced? If I deliver now or next couple of wks will he be okay due to the shots at 24 wks? I can't find any answers anywhere. The only thing the doc said was it will help mature the lungs but that was back at 24 wks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Betamethasone helps strengthen the baby's lungs, no matter when it's given (after 24 weeks, that is). Because you're 32 weeks, if you deliver soon, your baby will probably need to be in the NICU to make sure he/she is doing okay, but the Betamethasone did its job at 24 weeks.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:40 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I went into pre-term labor at 29 weeks with my first son. They were trying to stop labor with mag.. I got the double steroid shots. They are suppose to go to the baby's lungs to help advance and develop them. I went back in to labor a couple more times after that before they actually allowed me to have him at 34 weeks. He didn't have to stay in the NICU. His lungs were developed.. they said the shots helped to make sure that had happened.
    Every baby is different so you will never know if your baby will actually be spending days in the NICU until the baby is born.. and examined. Wish you the best of luck!
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 8:47 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• ys it helps strengthen the lungs so the baby will be ready for the outside when its born
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I had pPROM at 30 weeks with my son and had 2 rounds of shots...one at 30 weeks and one at 31 weeks. I delivered him at 32 weeks due to an infection in what little amniotic fluid remained. He did stay in the NICU, but NOT due to his lungs being immature, but due to his size and him not knowing how to suck/swallow/breath.

As far as I know the steroid shots ONLY last a week. I maybe wrong though.
    allmyblessings

Answer by allmyblessings at 9:07 AM on Sep. 28, 2010