how to introduce foods?

My son is 6 months old and my doctor told me I can start giving him baby food like carrots, squash, etc. after his bottle. Is that after every bottle? Also, do I continue with the cereal? He doesn't seem to like it and that seems like a lot of food. A bottle, then cereal, then baby food?

jacksmom1225

Asked by jacksmom1225 at 8:49 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can dump the cereal... you never needed it to begin with, it's just crap. Offer his bottles as usual and then once a day, or once every other/ every few days offer some solid food. We liked to do it at dinnertime just because everyone else was eating, and we would just offer a little of what we were eating that was appropriate. So, soft cooked veggies to start, then soft meats, rice and finally pasta and grains. Just put a little on his tray and he'll eat what he wants... or if he's not quite ready for that, then fork mash it. Things like baked sweet potato, acovado and banana are good for this.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:05 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Can he sit up?

His formula/breast milk is WAY more important than food. Makes sure he gets the same amount of bottles and just let him try a bite here and there of real food. If he can sit up and he wants to reach for food and chew it, give him small chunks of avocado, baked sweet potato or banana and let him feed himself. He doesn't need to ever have the liquid food. Once he has the hang of it, he can have small amounts of whatever you eat. He really only needs food just for fun..if he isn't interested, don't push it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I dont do it after a bottle his belly may be too full after a bottle. My DD is 7 months old and she gets up at 8 or so i give her a bottle then around 9:30 she eats a 2nd stage friut for breakfast, then she takes a morning nap around 10:30 get up at 12:30 eats lunch ( a veggie usually squash ), then has a small bottle ( 3 or 4 oz since she just ate baby food ) then has another bottle at 3 takes a nap wakes up at 5 plays until dinner at 6 or 7 eats baby food ( veggie ), has a bottle plays until 9 or 9:30 has another bottle goes to bed.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 8:54 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• We just introduced solids about a month ago. We started out just giving him some veggies in the morning after his bottle (avoid introducing new foods in the evening just in case your baby has reaction to them while he is sleeping). After about 2-3 weeks when he seemed really interested, we added another meal at night then started to give him lunch... Do not reduce the amount of formula you give him because at this age, formula is the most important thing. Just give him solids in addition to his regular amount of formula. Good luck!
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:09 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• cereal is generally a starter food, but you do not have to use it. My doctor had me start the baby food once a day at breakfast. She had me try to food then the bottle though. also, when starting new baby foods, my doctor said its a good idea to do one baby food for 3 to 5 days before intoducing a new baby food, because this way if an allergic reaction happens, youll know which food is the culpirit!
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 9:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I want to add. NEVER, EVER put cereal or baby food in his bottle. That is dangerous and wrong. Food before one is for learning and fun, NOT nutrition or filling them up. formula or BM is to fill them up and give nutrition.

If baby needs liquidy food, they are not ready to eat food yet.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:38 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Bye bye cereal. You never needed it anyway.

Bottle first. Formula is his primary nutrition and will be to the first birthday. NOT giving that to him first does raise the risk of missing out on important nutrients, and increases constipation risk.

After the bottle, whatever he wants in solids. No such thing as too little. There is a such thing as too much in solids.

And nothing but formula in the bottle; cereal in it is a choking risk.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You can make your baby a bottle before he goes to sleep at night.. adding a little cereal into his formula with a little fruit to try to introduce some foods to him. I mix up the cereal with baby food in a bowl sometimes... but he takes it a little better with the baby food in his bottle mixed up or if its one of his favorites.. he will eat it without anything added.

With my oldest......Apples, Bananas and peaches are the ones I never had problems with them taking.
    Carrots - he took them but were real hesitant...
    Green beans - wouldn't take them... If i wanted to give these I would have to make them on the stove like I would for myself... and food process it.
    Squash - he wouldn't take it
    Sweet Potatoes - he didn't take to at first but started really liking them a lot...

So it will just be a whole trial and error thing - but it is so funny to see the faces they make! GL!
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 28, 2010