How can I get my 13 month old to start going to sleep on her own???

I have 2 children- a 4 1/2 year old and a 13 month old. I am trying to get our daughter (13 month old) to go to sleep on her own. We still have to lay down every night with our son and when he gets up through the night we still have to get in bed with him. I would really like to get things to where at least our daughter will go to sleep on her own. The doctor said we need to just take a week and let her cry it out at bedtime, but this is hard when her brother's room is right next to hers. So if we just let her cry it out we will also be waking him up. Any thoughts????

nickylee81

Asked by nickylee81 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• wow that is rough, my son is 2 and JUST fimally started sleeping through the night...we had to use cry it out for about 3 days it was heartbreaking but it worked also i know peds dont reccomend sending a child to bed with a cup or bottle but during the cry it out period i would send him to bed with chocolate milk (something special for being a big boy) i only needed to do this for about a week or 2 then i'd gradually dilute it more and more and now he only goes to bed with water
    sdolly

Answer by sdolly at 10:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2008