What do you think of modular homes?

DH and I have been talking. The house we currently live in needs LOTS of work done. We knew this when we bought it and it was cheap. DH thought he would be able to fix it up. Now though he realizes there is just too much work that needs to be done. The guy who lived her before tried to remodel and just tore things up and did things that make no since. Anyway we have discussed either finding a new place or tearing down the house and putting a modular here. Now I know many think modular means trailer but they are NOT the same thing. A modular is a prebuilt house. 10 years ago my cousin had one and from the outside they look boring, similar to a long big trailer. And the quality was bad, cheap materials and crocked molding. That was 10 years ago. I recently been looking online and see that most look like real homes. I am sure they are also built better. Has anyone seen any more recent modular homes? What do you think?

Shaylyn318

Asked by Shaylyn318 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Shaylyn318

Comment by Shaylyn318 (original poster) at 8:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If you get a new one it should be nice
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• We have one and it is very nice. Just shop around because new ones are HIGH and you can usually find someone trying to sell theirs. We got ours appraised at $50K+ but bought it for $22K with all curtains/blinds and appliances. It was only a few years old. Don't pay the $80K+ that most want. The prices will vary per area. Here modulars are about 1/2 the price of a regular home.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 9:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Oh and look at multiple ones because a better one will come along. We had one lady try to sell us one that looked like a trailer for $35K no furniture/appliances and was 25+ years old. It was nice but it is still on the market. So be patient and offer low and go up if you feel comfortable with the deal.

Get financing in place ahead of time because that is the main problem with these is banks don't finance them. Credit Unions will.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 9:16 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• yes, my BIL and his wife had bought one and it was just a few years ago but not like 10 years ago. it is very nice inside so you are right about how nice they are. if a modular house is something you will be happy with, then go for it! it is already built for you, yes so you cant make it your own way.

i always though modular homes were small especially for the 6 of us, so it wouldnt work for us. for some reason ive always compared modular to trailer. idk why, i think maybe because its already built for you and trailer houses are on wheels and modular can be brought to you lol.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:17 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Modular homes have come a long way...here is a website to a company that has a factory in the town that my mom lives in. http://www.allamericanhomes.com/index.php they have tons of different floor models, and you can even get 2 story modular homes now. you can choose tons of options to customize, Of course the more extravagant you go the more expensive. Have fun and good luck finding your new home!

foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My brother & SIL just put up a modular - as in we watched it get set on the foundation 2 weeks ago and the last few days I've been helping SIL paint the inside. If a person walked into it not knowing it's a modular, they'd never guess - it looks like a regular house. They (the manufacturers) can do so much more now than they used to - you can have a 2-story modular, and then some - if you watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition this last week's house (huge!) was a modular. The more peices you have the more it costs but the more it looks like a regular house. If you want more info on them feel free to pm me - brother used to work for the same people that did his so I've learned a lot from him over the years.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My SIL and BIL had a modular and like the PP, you would never have known. I think it's like anything else, you get what you pay for. I don't think I would go with cheap-o cheap nor would I go with overpriced. Some are very plain on the outside, and I think SIL's would have been too, but they built their own front porch and did their own landscaping. It was lovely and didn't look cheap at all, like I think the ones from 10-15 years ago look. Just do your homework.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My husband sets modular and mobile homes. They are beautiful. We have one also. Just make sure you get a good company with a good background. you really have to do your homework . They really are very nice tho
    Marinemom03

Answer by Marinemom03 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• We bought one last year and have been very happy with it so far. It is 5 years old and nothing major has gone wrong yet. We are just starting to have problems with grout cracking, both on the tile floors and on the tile countertops. But for the money, we are pleased and have no regrets. If you write me privately I can send you pics of ours. It is a Cavco Durango, not sure if they still make those anymore.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2010