Nurture vs. Nature???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• A little of both, but I think Nurture wins out.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:05 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• huh?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It's a combination of both and there are many factors that impact which one has the most influence.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 9:07 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• a good combo of both, but the nurture can override the nature...for instance, a person who is a serial killer was born with that defect, but it took something in his/her environment to set off the urge to act on those impulses! Many people are predetermined criminals, but if they are kept in a good environment, they can overcome that part of them! Think about Rob Zombie's Halloween! I know it is a movie, but a great example! Mike Myers was a troubled mind, and bscause his environment was so bad, he was more apt to act on his mind set! JMO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Nature gives us the building blocks; basic personality traits, intelligence, mechanical and musical aptitude, etc. Nurture then takes over. We can be predisposed to something by genetics, doesn't mean that the skill (or defect) will flourish.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I believe nature has more effect than nurture. Here is why....my brother and I are exactly 1 yr apart. We were raised the same. Had the exact same chores and same expectations. There were no sexual preferences as to who did what, it carried and stacked wood right beside him, while he also washed dishes and dusted the furniture. However as adolesence set in, his genetic traits kicked in, and continued onto adult hood. He is much like our uncles and I am like my mother and dad. We are opposites in just about every way possible.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:26 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• A child's environment has a direct impact on his or her brain development, growth & physical development, social & emotional development. It's impossible to seperate the two.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:49 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• In what regard?

I tend to think that both can be a factor but there are exceptions to the rule. My mother grew up in a rotten household. It's not my story to share so I won't. Suffice it to say Nurture was lacking and if Mom had grown up to be a theiving, drain on society it'd not have been a surprise. Instead she grew up to be the exact opposite. Her siblings? Not so much - at least not most of them, there were 9 and there was only one we were permitted a relationship with growing up. To me, that's nature.

My brother and I grew up in the same house. We are night and day. Same parents. Same upbringing. Different outcomes. Nature.

I think it can be a bit of bother but I think nature has the power to overcome nurture in the right person.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:41 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Both, without doubt... It's been proven that some traits are genetic, even some personality traits... There is also the fact that many mental issues are nature rather than nurture and all the nurture in the world can't change that. On the other hand, an abused child is more likely to be an abuser than a loved child... So without doubt, both aspects come in to play...

Now, I also want to point out that it's completely impossible to judge the nature vs nurture argument by looking at two children of the same parent. Each of us has a different level of nurture. We are affected not just by the "nurture" we get from our parents, but we are also affected from outside aspects like school, friends, family and other experiences... ALL of our experiences add up to equal the "nurture" aspect... Nature on the other hand is simply what we are born with inside... So it's complicated

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Both, but, Nurture has the ability to override in the right circumstances.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010